Segfault and prerequisites for partially unlock missing

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Scara
Space Kraken

Segfault and prerequisites for partially unlock missing

#1 Post by Scara »

Hi,

I was finally able to reproduce the segfault I reported before, on build.e7f05d8, four times in a row. I gave the following commands after loading the autosave,
Phyco a, minimus b - transformer top
minimus b II - abaddoni colony top
keeta b astoriods - colonize
crystous I - colonize
keeta b - selecting pedia entry caretakers fruit with right click, selecting ulduz g leads to the gamecrash on my machine.

I used following options:
./freeorion --UI.combat.summary.graph.bar_health_smooth 0 --UI.font-size 11 --UI.objects-list-info-col-1 OBJECT_TYPE --UI.objects-list-width-col-1 60 --UI.objects-list-info-col-2 METER_POPULATION --UI.objects-list-width-col-2 90 --UI.objects-list-info-col-3 OWNER --UI.objects-list-width-col-3 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-4 PLANET_TYPE --UI.objects-list-width-col-4 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-5 SIZE_AS_DOUBLE --UI.objects-list-width-col-5 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-6 SPECIES --UI.objects-list-width-col-6 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-7 FOCUS --UI.objects-list-width-col-7 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-8 METER_INDUSTRY --UI.objects-list-width-col-8 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-9 METER_TARGET_INDUSTRY --UI.objects-list-width-col-9 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-10 METER_RESEARCH --UI.objects-list-width-col-10 96 --UI.objects-list-info-col-11 METER_TARGET_RESEARCH --UI.objects-list-width-col-11 96 --UI.sitrep-font-size 11 --UI.small-fleet-button-minimum-zoom 0.75 --UI.sound.music-enabled 0 --UI.title-font-size 11

Save:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=725 ... 3973414031

Hopefully this will help getting rid of this problem! It's annoying me for quite some time now

Config and log attached
Attachments
freeoriond.log
(16.82 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
config.xml
(25.08 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

dbenage-cx
Programmer

Re: Segfault and prerequisites for partially unlock missing

#2 Post by dbenage-cx »

Do you have the freeorion.log still?
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:I gave the following commands after loading the autosave,
Phyco a, minimus b - transformer top
minimus b II - abaddoni colony top
keeta b astoriods - colonize
crystous I - colonize
keeta b - selecting pedia entry caretakers fruit with right click, selecting ulduz g leads to the gamecrash on my machine.
Could you clarify what these "commands" mean? I attempted to do what I assume they meant, but got no crash.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

That last line.

I'm having intermittent crahses if I select a system from a Pedia link from within the PRoduction Window, and only within the ProdWnd. I mentioned it to The Silent One on his PR as it became noticeable when he did the recent work on the ProdWnd Pedia page, but he's convinced it's unrelated and just made more prominent as I'm more likely to be using the Pedia in PRodWnd now.

I meant to open an Issue and forgot, but it looks like the exact same thing. Looking up a special by right clicking it within prodwnd then going to a planet it's located at, or using a species suitability report or similar list of systems/planets and the game crashes.

But it's not easily repeatable and only seems to happen when I've been playign awhile, I've not repeated it from within a newly run game yet.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#5 Post by The Silent One »

I can't reproduce the crash, but do I understand correctly that it only occurs when a pedia planet link is clicked?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Scara
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Scara »

I can't reproduce the crash, but do I understand correctly that it only occurs when a pedia planet link is clicked?
Ah, to bad... hoped to nail that bug for once.
I still have the freeorion.log aswell, I'll send it later, still at work...
Yeah, pretty much of these happen on working with pedia. I can't tell if prod window must be open.
But I tried to reproduce the bug directly after loading and it didn't crash.
I did my normal round stuff (as described, adding stuff to the prod list and colonizing) and at the end used the pedia planet link to the other caretakers fruits planet --> that crashed
When having these segfaults I was mostly doing something with pedia, especially following links and it never crashed when repeating the last thing that led to the crash after loading the last autosave. That's the reason I discribed the stuff that I did to reproduce the crash.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:That's the reason I discribed the stuff that I did to reproduce the crash.
In future, describe such actions more precisely. Where did you click exactly? How did you go from one screen / system to another? How did you enqueue stuff?

Scara
Space Kraken

#8 Post by Scara »

Yeah, still can reproduce the crash.
The order I do the following stuff doesn't apparently matter, as I tried it in different orders, only the pedia check I did at the end, if I did it at the beginning directly after loading it won't crash:
Phyco a II - add transformer to top of production list
Minimus b - add transformer to top of production list
minimus b II - add abaddoni colony building to top of production list
keeta b astoriods - colonize both asteroids
crystous I - colonize tiny terra planet
keeta b I - selecting pedia entry caretakers fruit on the planet with right click, selecting the other planet ulduz g haveing that special leads to the gamecrash on my machine.
I'm having intermittent crahses if I select a system from a Pedia link from within the PRoduction Window, and only within the ProdWnd.
Yeah right! I just tried, doing the last three mentioned orders NOT in prod. wind. and indeed it won't crash.
Then I went into Prod. Wind. and did the last order again to succeed in crashing.

Logs:
Attachments
freeoriond.log
(16.82 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
freeorion.log
(56.92 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:Phyco a II - add transformer to top of production list
Minimus b - add transformer to top of production list
minimus b II - add abaddoni colony building to top of production list
keeta b astoriods - colonize both asteroids
crystous I - colonize tiny terra planet
keeta b I - selecting pedia entry caretakers fruit on the planet with right click, selecting the other planet ulduz g haveing that special leads to the gamecrash on my machine.
Please be specific about how you do these actions. In particular, how do you move between systems / select planets, do the "add X to the top..." action, etc.

Edit: Also, is there any way you can provide a crash stack trace?

Scara
Space Kraken

#10 Post by Scara »

Please be specific about how you do these actions. In particular, how do you move between systems / select planets, do the "add X to the top..." action, etc.
Well, after it loaded I double clicked the Phyco system on the starmap to open the Prod. Window. and select the Planet II. In the producible items I select transformer with right click and put it directly at the top.
I stay in prod. Wind. and select the minimus system with left and add the transformer out of the producible items again with right select add to top.
Still in prod. wind. and minimus system I select the second planet and select the abaddoni colony building from the producibles with right and add to top.
Now, in my last try I left the prod. wind. and selected the keeta system on the starmap. There I colonized the two asteroids with the outpost bases.
Then I selected crystous system and colonized the tiny first terran planet with the organic outposter.
Then I selected the keeta system again (still in fleet wind.) and right clicked the caretakers fruit on the first planet with right, to see in pedia other planets having this special.
In pedia I chose the ulduz g planet by left clicking it to get information about size and the system and surprise I got the info =)
Now I wanted to see...
I opened prod. wind. on keeta by double clicking the system on the starmap and again clicked right on the caretakers fruits symbol on the first planet.
The pedia entry in prod. wind. shows up and I select the ulduz g planet again with left and got the crash.
This is what I did and the last Logs I sent were the product.
I hope the information is detailed enough if you have further question, I'm always glad to help!

Edit:
Also, is there any way you can provide a crash stack trace?
Never done it before, but I like to learn. Could you give me a quick intro?
If I needed to download and install larger packages it might be a problem as I'm have very limited internet at the moment :(
But as I use Linux everything I need might be already there.

Scara
Space Kraken

#11 Post by Scara »

Hey I just found the GNU Debugger and tried it on freeorion, the save and the above procedure, don't now if I did it the right way,
but the information obtained seems not particular helpful for me:
warning: the debug information found in "/lib64/ld-2.19.so" does not match "/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2" (CRC mismatch).

[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7fffe8b4e700 (LWP 4551)]
[Thread 0x7fffe8b4e700 (LWP 4551) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffe8b4e700 (LWP 4552)]
[New Thread 0x7fffdffff700 (LWP 4553)]
[New Thread 0x7fffdebfe700 (LWP 4559)]
FreeOrion server waiting for network events
[Thread 0x7fffd5ffb700 (LWP 4768) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffdd7fc700 (LWP 4770) exited]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x000000000048d484 in ?? ()

Geoff the Medio

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:Hey I just found the GNU Debugger and tried it on freeorion, the save and the above procedure, don't now if I did it the right way...
I have no idea how to do so, but I'm looking for something like in this post: viewtopic.php?p=82148#p82148

dbenage-cx
Programmer

#13 Post by dbenage-cx »

Reproduced:

Code: Select all

2016-03-03 10:57:53.201890 [debug] Client : ProductionWnd::UpdateQueue()
2016-03-03 10:57:53.253184 [error] Client : EncyclopediaDetailPanel.cpp:793 : EncyclopediaDetailPanel::HandleLinkClick caught lexical cast exception for link type:  and data: 
2016-03-03 10:58:06.460237 [debug] Client : Issue times: planet species: 0.151 ship species: 0.17 specials: 1.397 techs: 3.081 buildings: 0.337 hulls/parts: 1.216 fields: 0.093
2016-03-03 10:58:06.460280 [debug] Client : Evaluation time: 90.991 reorder time: 0.16
Launch with options in first post
Load posted save game
Double click Scara B
Right click caretakerfruit, select pedia
In pedai scroll to bottom, select another planet via link
keep selecting planets in pedia until fault

(rebuilding master/debug atm)
Any content posted should be considered licensed GNU GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0 as appropriate.

Scara
Space Kraken

#14 Post by Scara »

Ah, probably I just had to recompile with debugging instead of release to get the stacktrace, is that right?
Well if so, next time, I prefer running release state default as it's much faster...

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#15 Post by AndrewW »

Scara wrote:Never done it before, but I like to learn. Could you give me a quick intro?
With gdb:

gdb freeorion
run

After the crash:

bt full

Then you should have a backtrace.