Scrying Sphere

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Scara
Space Kraken

Scrying Sphere

#1 Post by Scara »

Hey!

My first Scrying Sphere that showed me some other planet... I was already wondering if they were working
:shock:
Now guess what! :wink: The chances for that to happen must be pretty low!
Hehe, in full detail without sensors :D
Bildschirmfoto216.png
Bildschirmfoto216.png (388.8 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Last edited by Scara on Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Scrying Sphere

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I can't tell what is the point you're trying to make...

Scara
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Scara »

Bildschirmfoto217.png
Bildschirmfoto217.png (31.45 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
That scrying sphere on nahar was actually found and showed me venice and theemim. But if one is build, would have the same effect?

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:That scrying sphere on nahar was actually found and showed me venice and theemim. But if one is build, would have the same effect?
It should, unless there's a problem with the scripts. It's more likely that a captured sphere wouldn't work than it is that a produced one wouldn't.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

I think the big coincidence Scara wanted to point out here is that the one planet which got revealed by this is actually the Experimentor planet (Venice Beta). The chances for that to happen are extremely low indeed... :shock:

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:I think the big coincidence Scara wanted to point out here is that the one planet which got revealed by this is actually the Experimentor planet (Venice Beta). The chances for that to happen are extremely low indeed... :shock:
That's pretty cool... the scrying sphere revealing the impeding doom on the galaxy... almost like from a movie script :D
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Aye, um, maybe we should script it so that either the Experimentors always get one or never get one? Either is fine by me.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:Aye, um, maybe we should script it so that either the Experimentors always get one or never get one?
I vote for never.

Scara
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Scara »

The Silent One wrote:That's pretty cool... the scrying sphere revealing the impeding doom on the galaxy... almost like from a movie script :D
Yeah it's some kind of cool in one way because of the dramaturgy having the info released by this artifact, compared to getting the info by a sensor update!
But logically I would also prefer never, as that planet is special and heavily modified, so the experimentors have it in their hand to keep up their invisibility.
But I like the feature of the scrying sphere very much. Maybe it's a bit rare and could spawn some more.
In my 150 Systems games I got rarely more then one. This was the first game to make use of it and directly getting jackpot ;-).
Overall very interesting game with the 3 scrying spheres!

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Scara wrote:In my 150 Systems games I got rarely more then one.
You don't need more than one... It's better to have just one on an inconsequential planet, and from that get vision of planets you don't control / couldn't have already seen.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Scara wrote:In my 150 Systems games I got rarely more then one.
You don't need more than one... It's better to have just one on an inconsequential planet, and from that get vision of planets you don't control / couldn't have already seen.
I think he meant he only got one on the entire map. Which is kind of useless, as you need at least two of them on a map to get the effect.

Scara
Space Kraken

#12 Post by Scara »

Vezzra wrote:got one on the entire map.
Thanks yeah, that's what I meant.
So often the native scrying sphere site was already in detection range before I could build one one myself, at some insignificant spot of my empire.
Building it though reveals nothing new.