Scripting todo list

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Scripting todo list

#1 Post by MatGB »

Every so often I realise just how many little jobs need doing and sometimes do one of them, but regularly get sidetracked or forget. Many of these things are relatively easy tasks that, with the Github workflow, virtually anyone could do.

There therefore follows an incomplete list of tasks that I hope to get done, or would like to see done. I hope to update the list with links to relevant discussions as/when I get time. If you fancy trying your hand at any of the entries, do please say so, I'll be happy to help and give pointers when I've time.
  • Monstrous weapons need updating—since we changed the refinement system, multiple monsters got downgraded in some ways unless owned, where they regularly got a power increase, we need to create monstrous weapons for the various guardians and wondering monsters so that they can be properly balanced (plus, you get eaten by Kraken, not shot by lasers)
  • Guardian hulls need sensor parts—Stealthed scoutships should be able to sneak relatively easily passed Sentries and Maintenance ships, but not Wardens, all currently get the same detection (based on vision range for unowned stuff). I recently set it to 50, but ideally it should start at 10 and go up for different things, so individual parts are needed.
  • Your Mines should generate Sitreps when they damage enemy ships—players, especially new ones, don't really get to learn how mines work, this would help.
  • Orbital Drydocks need to be toned down—Exact details to be decided but they definitely shouldn't work on the turn you conquer the planet they're on (perhaps a Happiness threshold), and probably ought to require a ship spend a turn there stationary not simply turn up. They also need to lose the Infrastructure penalty.
  • Damage Control techs need further balancing—this includes both the techs and the auto-repair hulls, ideally no repairs should happen immediately after combat except for Logistics, Nanobot and BioAdaptive, and none of them should be complete. Plus, the techs should repair based on current structure not max structure, forcing heavily damaged big ships to limp home for repairs not simply hide for a couple turns
  • Damage Control parts need to be created as Internal and Core slots—exact costs and specs to be decided, and some should require things like the Advanced Engineering Bay to be built
  • Domesticated Monsters need some love—Sloth made a start on this last year but we decided to adapt his work, I took it on then got sidetracked, exactly what to determined, but speed boosts and special "trained" abilities could be included
  • Onboard manufactories and research post parts need to be created—Geoff did some backend work on this ages ago but no parts were ever created, balancing it will be a challenge and the backend code may be buggy, so whoever does it will undoubtedly need help but it should be a cool thing to have added
  • Stealth needs a major overhaul—both the parts and detection setups need work. I have ideas, but haven't really started yet, putting it on the list for completeness
Not a complete list, if you think of something I've forgotten or think something needs doing that you can't/don't have time for/would like someone else to do please comment.

As for me, I'm currently working on:
  • Allowing expansion shipyards to be buildable if prereq building is enqueued—This was basically done but not tested before the recent changes to the Default folder strucutre, as I need to test it further anyway I now need to split the work up, not a major problem but a delay
  • Using Infrastructure to determine certain bonuses—specifically and initially detection ranges for colonies, but probably a few other things as well.
  • Assign priorities to Industry and Research outputs—Um, oops, had completely forgotten about this project, just checked my old working branch, will need work with the recent splitup but needs doing.
Last edited by Vezzra on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: That actually should be a sticky thread
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

Re: Scripting todo list

#2 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Would it be undesirable to open GitHub issues for each bullet point?

I volunteer to do that, if it's desirable (I mean, opening the issues, not implementing them).
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Bluehand
Space Floater

#3 Post by Bluehand »

Thanks for putting this together!
MatGB wrote:
  • Onboard manufactories and research post parts need to be created
This sounds interesting, is there more information about this anywhere?
Code or patches I post are released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Cpeosphoros wrote:Would it be undesirable to open GitHub issues for each bullet point?

I volunteer to do that, if it's desirable (I mean, opening the issues, not implementing them).
I don't know actually, I'd been thinking of one or the other and I thought if I just finally got it typed up and started we could decide what to do with it.

Guys? Is this sort of thing best managed here or on Github?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:Guys? Is this sort of thing best managed here or on Github?
Considering that things like the issue tracker on github are designed to be todo lists, which forums obviously are not, and also considering the fact that the threads we started here in the past that have been supposed to do that job never really worked out, my vote is in favor of the github issue tracker. 8)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Bluehand wrote:
MatGB wrote:
  • Onboard manufactories and research post parts need to be created
This sounds interesting, is there more information about this anywhere?
Maybe buried somewhere here on the forum, in some ancient threads. But the best bet is probably to ask Geoff, after all, he is the one who implemented whatever support for that feature is already there in the backend code.

Unnamed
Space Floater

#7 Post by Unnamed »

MatGB wrote:Monstrous weapons need updating
I would like to do that. I noticed that most monsters have just one weapon, but I think it will be better to use multiple weapons as it will be slightly more effective against fighters.
I allready made graphics for krill swarms and kraken. For the other monsters I will create graphics, too.
Should I make icons for the monstrous weapons as well?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Unnamed wrote:Should I make icons for the monstrous weapons as well?
Yes.

Also, Krill Swam might be a good case to give a monster a special fighter bay part that has very high capacity, but very low damage, and remove the direct fire weapons. The swarm would then fight by launching a swarm of fighters, which seems suitable for its name.

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Cpeosphoros »

MatGB wrote:Regarding opening issues, then yes please go ahead Cpeosphoros—if you can tag them, tag them "Scripting", if not then one of us will have to do it once they're in.
Done. Issues #536 though #547. I don't have actual tagging privileges on the repo, so I "tagged" then on the issues' titles.
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Unnamed wrote:
MatGB wrote:Monstrous weapons need updating
I would like to do that.
I've added you to our "Contributors" team on github, please confirm the invitation. Then I can assign the issue Cpeosphoros created for this item to you (if we are going to use the github issue tracker for this stuff, we should do it thoroughly ;))

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

dbenage-cx wrote:
MatGB wrote: [*]Orbital Drydocks need to be toned down—Exact details to be decided but they definitely shouldn't work on the turn you conquer the planet they're on (perhaps a Happiness threshold), and probably ought to require a ship spend a turn there stationary not simply turn up. They also need to lose the Infrastructure penalty.
Would like to tackle this.
Same as for Unnamed: I've added you to our "Contributors" team on github, you need to confirm the invitation, so I can assign you to the corresponding github issue.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Please, ladies and gentlemen, try to refrain from going into design/balance related discussions about specific items on the list here in this thread. This is a sticky thread which purpose is to manage the scripting-to-do-list, so please stick to discuss administrative stuff here (like, who wants to grab which item, notifications if someone can no longer work on an item they grabbed, questions about where relevent info about a specific item can be found, etc.). Otherwise this thread will inflate quickly and become unmanageable.

If you want/need to discuss design/balance/whatever other details on a specific item, please open a dedicated thread on an appropriate forum (the more fundamental design stuff on the Other Game Design forum, balancing stuff here on the Scripting & Balancing forum).

I already went ahead and split of the posts discussing the details for the Orbital Drydock item to a dedicated thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10007

Please continue the discussion there.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

Cpeosphoros wrote:Done. Issues #536 though #547. I don't have actual tagging privileges on the repo, so I "tagged" then on the issues' titles.
Hm, I guess you won't be able to create new tags/labels, but can't you assign any of the already predefined labels when you create the issue?

Anyway, I've made a new "scripting" label, assigned it to the issues you opened and removed the "(Scripting)" prefix from the issue titles.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#14 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:
Cpeosphoros wrote:Done. Issues #536 though #547. I don't have actual tagging privileges on the repo, so I "tagged" then on the issues' titles.
Hm, I guess you won't be able to create new tags/labels, but can't you assign any of the already predefined labels when you create the issue?
No it's a current permission limitation of github. Only users which have 'write' permissions to a repository can add/modify/remove tags from issues.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by MatGB »

I edited the top post to update it but keep getting error messages, so new post instead
==
Every so often I realise just how many little jobs need doing and sometimes do one of them, but regularly get sidetracked or forget. Many of these things are relatively easy tasks that, with the Github workflow, virtually anyone could do.

There therefore follows an incomplete list of tasks that I hope to get done, or would like to see done. I hope to update the list with links to relevant discussions as/when I get time. If you fancy trying your hand at any of the entries, do please say so, I'll be happy to help and give pointers when I've time. Not a complete list, if you think of something I've forgotten or think something needs doing that you can't/don't have time for/would like someone else to do please comment.

As for me, I'm currently working on: Edit/Updates: Following have been done but need some balancing/refining
  • Monstrous weapons need updating—since we changed the refinement system, multiple monsters got downgraded in some ways unless owned, where they regularly got a power increase, we need to create monstrous weapons for the various guardians and wondering monsters so that they can be properly balanced (plus, you get eaten by Kraken, not shot by lasers)
  • Guardian hulls need sensor parts—Stealthed scoutships should be able to sneak relatively easily passed Sentries and Maintenance ships, but not Wardens, all currently get the same detection (based on vision range for unowned stuff). I recently set it to 50, but ideally it should start at 10 and go up for different things, so individual parts are needed.
Following have been completed entirely:
  • Your Mines should generate Sitreps when they damage enemy ships—players, especially new ones, don't really get to learn how mines work, this would help.
  • Orbital Drydocks need to be toned down—Exact details to be decided but they definitely shouldn't work on the turn you conquer the planet they're on (perhaps a Happiness threshold), and probably ought to require a ship spend a turn there stationary not simply turn up. They also need to lose the Infrastructure penalty.
    Allowing expansion shipyards to be buildable if prereq building is enqueued—This was basically done but not tested before the recent changes to the Default folder strucutre, as I need to test it further anyway I now need to split the work up, not a major problem but a delay
  • Assign priorities to Industry and Research outputs—Um, oops, had completely forgotten about this project, just checked my old working branch, will need work with the recent splitup but needs doing.
Mat Bowles