Suggestion: a sound addition

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Suggestion: a sound addition

#1 Post by Bromstarzan »

In fact, I do like the relative silence in FO - it allows me to enjoy music of personal taste for ambiance. The audio feedback when selecting a system or fleet is just spot on. However, I do miss a sound when there's been a combat. I would really like to have a sound confirmation if there is a "combat" reported in the sitrep. Either imediately as the sitrep is produced after the turn (one sound indication for each combat reported?) or as I click on the "...there was a combat with..." link. Something like like this:

Radio check (I like this one)
Artificial blip
Fired shots 1
Fired shots 2 (personally I think this example is too long)

These examples can not be used (from the Close Combat series) - but something similar?
Any thoughts?
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Cpeosphoros
Space Kraken

Re: Suggestion: a sound addition

#2 Post by Cpeosphoros »

Bromstarzan wrote:In fact, I do like the relative silence in FO - it allows me to enjoy music of personal taste for ambiance. The audio feedback when selecting a system or fleet is just spot on. However, I do miss a sound when there's been a combat. I would really like to have a sound confirmation if there is a "combat" reported in the sitrep. Either imediately as the sitrep is produced after the turn (one sound indication for each combat reported?) or as I click on the "...there was a combat with..." link. Something like like this:

Radio check (I like this one)
Artificial blip
Fired shots 1
Fired shots 2 (personally I think this example is too long)

These examples can not be used (from the Close Combat series) - but something similar?
Any thoughts?
It's already been discussed before. No, just please, no.

I have dozens of combats reports every single turn. Please, don't make my game into a lunatic disk jockey.

(Take this with a grain of salt. Just being hyperbolic here, but, seriously, it would be quite annoying.)
All contributions are released under GPL or LGPL v2 or later, or under appropriate Creative Commons licence, consistent with project guidelines.

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Bromstarzan »

Hehe, I can see how this has been debated over time :D
I agree with you, don't want FO to sound like a chicken farm. I guess, as a beginner I havn't faced that intense combat to realize a sound would be annoying. I made the reflection that I needed an alarm bell, but that is - as you say - probably a need that will vanish as the game progresses into pure combat stage. I'm inclined to withdraw my premature suggestion :mrgreen: .
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, in the mid to late game if you're not in a combat every turn you're probably doing it wrong (combat includes blockading a system while the troop ships travel in afterall).

One little change I've made, I've been ill this week with a headache, and have recently invested in a far better speaker system with better base. So I've switched the fleet select sound to be the same as the system select sound, that base echo it uses was making my headache far worse, never noticed it before, my old laptop speakers didn't even try to make it.

So if anyone with audio-fu fancies making an edited version of the fleet select sound without the base echo that'd be marvellous.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

I guess it doesn't matter to much to me. On about Day 2 I turned off all sound.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Ouaz »

MatGB wrote: So if anyone with audio-fu fancies making an edited version of the fleet select sound without the base echo that'd be marvellous.
You mean shorten and tone down it?
fleet_button_click.zip
(26.69 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Sorry for the zip (I know you don't like it), but ogg file is not allowed as attachment.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

godel
Space Dragon

#7 Post by godel »

For some FO setups and some computer situations (like my antivirus is hogging cycles) the game runs slow.
I would love some strong changes to indicate that it is my move. This sometimes streaches out into many minutes, and is sometimes incomplete (September build).