UI - Keyboard Shortcuts

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Starionx
Space Floater

Re: UI - Keyboard Shortcuts

#16 Post by Starionx »

Any chance of adding keyboard shortcuts for the following windows -
Empires, Messages, Graphs, Pedia.
It kind of doesn't make sense that you have shortcuts for only half the windows (research, design, production etc). :?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Starionx wrote:It kind of doesn't make sense that you have shortcuts for only half the windows (research, design, production etc). :?
The ones with shortcuts are (mostly) those that take over / rearrange the whole screen, not the smaller toggle-able ones that open over the map.

Starionx
Space Floater

#18 Post by Starionx »

Now using FreeOrion_2016-07-12.75e4470

Monsters sometimes seem to get 'stuck' at systems (this was happening in previous versions as well). The graphics show that they are heading to another system, but they never move. This means that you can never fight them.
:(

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by MatGB »

Unless they're stuck in a starlane, you should be able to fight them. In addition, if you've got a fleet in the location set to aggressive, you pin down the monster and prevent it from escaping (we really need a Pedia article on blockading fleets—anyone?), and you should be able to engage it in combat.

Alternatively, sometimes (and I've complained about this) a monster that either is or was stealthed may have been visible to you at some point and will show in its last known location, sometimes this can perpetuate all game (eg if the Small Krill Swarm flying through an Ion Storm meets another Krill Swarm to merge where you can't see it then your client never knows where it is in order to update you). We haven't worked out a way to solve that so we're not removing useful info but also not perpetually displaying dead info, as it's most common with either the Ion Storm or the Derelict Scout there might be some way to resolve it but I haven't put a huge amount of direct thought into it.

If neitehr of these two cases applies you may have found a bug (I'm currently playing on low monsters myself so might not see it), please do post screenshots and/or savegames so we can have a look.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Starionx wrote:Any chance of adding keyboard shortcuts for the following windows -
Empires, Messages, Graphs, Pedia.
Done: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 35f5a7fe8c

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#21 Post by Ouaz »

With the default font size (15pt), keyboards shortcuts titles are cut off by the buttons, even if you enlarge the window:
capture01.PNG
capture01.PNG (14.97 KiB) Viewed 920 times
It's even worse in french as title words are longer. ^^
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Starionx
Space Floater

#22 Post by Starionx »

Cool. Cheers for that. :)

Now using 2016-07-26.ba59cf7.

For the Keyboard shortcuts, the actual buttons are static, so no matter how wide you make the window, they don't move (and cover some text for the key descriptions), as 'Ouaz' mentioned above. Perhaps if the buttons were on the left and the text on the right, this would alleviate the problem. :D

For the life of me, I cannot get the 'Switch to next/prev system' hotkeys to work. I assume they are supposed to work the same way as clicking on the 2 left/right arrows on the planet mini window.
Firstly, the defaults are ctrl+greater, and ctrl+less. This in itself is a bit of a conundrum as every keyboard I've ever used, you need to press shift, to get to the 'less than/greater than' keys. I imagine it would take some sort of telekinetic mind control to make this work, but sadly, I do not have this power (yeah, I know... I'm a pathetic excuse for a human being). :lol:
Even after changing the keys to something else, they do not work. Am I doing something wrong?

Speaking of 'switch to next/prev system'... I would prefer being able to switch between systems that I have colonised. If you send out enough scouts, you can end up with a mind numbing amount of systems that you have to scroll through, just to see your own 'next system'. Just my 2 cents worth. :mrgreen:

Edit -
Just realised the new Graph shortcut opens the Graph window, but it doesn't close when pressing the same key again. All other shortcuts open/close their windows using the same key.
Last edited by Starionx on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starionx
Space Floater

#23 Post by Starionx »

User error - Nothing to see here... move along. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Starionx on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#24 Post by MatGB »

That looks like you've got an out of date stringtable, not sure how that's happened, try downloading a new copy from github?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Starionx
Space Floater

#25 Post by Starionx »

MatGB wrote:That looks like you've got an out of date stringtable, not sure how that's happened, try downloading a new copy from github?
Ahhh, ok. That would explain it. I've had to 'doctor' the stringtable to change some of the names of various things I didn't like, and just copy that file over the new version. I guess I'll have to do some rejigging going forward.

Thanks Mat.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#26 Post by MatGB »

No worries.

Whenever we add a new feature, the stringtable gets updated, if your server tries to look up a string and can't find it you get the Error: message display.

If you're going to be changing things, learning the basics of either Git (preferred) or Subversion (easier, not as good) and keeping a copy of the Default folder with your own amendments is probably a good idea, that way you can get changes we make and combine them with changes you make easily, if you're on Windows you can use PErsistent Config to tell your server to always look up Default in a different location, at least one player has theirs always point to the Git repo itself (which I think takes things a bit too far myself).
Mat Bowles