Master of Orion Reboot (Wargaming)

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Master of Orion Reboot (Wargaming)

#16 Post by MatGB »

Heh, personally I'm a strategy game fan and I'm quite happy to have no tactical combat at all in this game, but I can definitely see the appeal of having games that allow for such things. It's just not somethign that any of us have the ability to code for (and as basically Balance lead getting the weapons/armour/hull costs balanced for the current setup is a big enough pain ;-) ).

I've not been impressed with what I've seen of a lot of modern ish space games, but do keep meaning to try a recent CA game now I've got a Windows machine with the power to run something that needs a bit of power behind it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#17 Post by defaultuser »

I'm with Mat on that. I don't want to spend time on interactions doing all that tactical planning. The games run long enough as it is.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#18 Post by MikkoM »

MatGB wrote:Heh, personally I'm a strategy game fan and I'm quite happy to have no tactical combat at all in this game, but I can definitely see the appeal of having games that allow for such things. It's just not somethign that any of us have the ability to code for (and as basically Balance lead getting the weapons/armour/hull costs balanced for the current setup is a big enough pain ;-) ).

I've not been impressed with what I've seen of a lot of modern ish space games, but do keep meaning to try a recent CA game now I've got a Windows machine with the power to run something that needs a bit of power behind it.
defaultuser wrote:I'm with Mat on that. I don't want to spend time on interactions doing all that tactical planning. The games run long enough as it is.
Then the modern space 4X genre must be quite nice for you guys, as most games in it either do a really simple combat or no player controlled combat at all. For me and many of us who enjoyed the classic MOO model of player controlled tactical combat + empire management however most space 4X games have been less enjoyable. And we continue to wait for that one game that could do what the classic MOOs did all those years ago, the one game to rule us all. :wink:

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#19 Post by MikkoM »

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.ph ... ase-plans/

So now Wargaming is releasing this obviously still incomplete (just check the developer comments) and very average space 4X game on August 25th. :( Personally I can say that I couldnt be more disappointed with the way that Wargaming handled the development of this game, since despite their claims they didnt listen to the old fans of the MOO franchise.

Feel free to check the games official forums too to see how happy the mood is in there after this news:

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.ph ... iscussion/

The Silent One
Graphics

#20 Post by The Silent One »

Maybe we should unintrusively advertise FreeOrion there? After all, our project was started after MoO3 turned out to be a big disappointment, so maybe a disappointing MoO4 will give us a push as well. Need artists, sound guys etc.!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.