Production Queue ordering

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Onesimus
Krill Swarm

Production Queue ordering

#1 Post by Onesimus »

I am running W10, and was running 4.5 before installing FreeOrion_v0.4.6_2016-09-16.49f9123_Win32_Setup. These remarks are for 4.5. (4.6 is unusable - see my other post.)

When scheduling new production items, when I schedule a new building or ship at planet A, it should proceed independently of what is scheduled at Planets B through Z. As it runs currently at 4.5, an item scheduled at Planet A where nothing else is scheduled is scheduled to finish a few hundred turns in the future behind all the things queued for all the other planets.

I can manually move items to the front, but that delays all the stuff already scheduled at other planets.

How can building an industrial complex at Planet A be delayed by all the ships being built at planet B?

I searched the forum for this issue, but the volume of posts returned was high, and I was unable to determine if this has already been reported or discussed.

Thanks for your efforts!

O

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Production Queue ordering

#2 Post by Vezzra »

What you observe is a deliberate design decision: FO doesn't have one production queue per production location, but one global production queue. This avoids an awful lot of micromanagement. After all, you can't spend more PP on all the items you currently produce than your total industrial capacity provides, so the difference between having a lot of local queues versus one global queue is that instead of pooling all your PP into one item after another and thus getting the topmost items done faster, your PP would be spread among x local queues, thus building each item slower. The bottom items won't take any longer with a global queue. Instead of getting the top items build first and the bottom items afterwards, all items would finish (more or less) together.

I hope the concept is clearer now...?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Also, you can right click an item and add it tot he top of the build queue (at least you can in current, I forget when that was introduced). Also, you don't need an Industrial Center everywhere, we've updated the descriptions to make that clearer in game but you generally need one per empire, buildings are supposed to be rare in FO, not a build-everywhere thing.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Onesimus
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by Onesimus »

OK, Design decision, I guess that makes sense.

(I am a long-time player of "Stars!", which did have production at the star level. I'm still adjusting.)