Build Queue

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
EricF
Space Dragon

Build Queue

#1 Post by EricF »

When one of your planets is captured the items being built at that planet still show up in your build queue.
That seems kind of odd. Is this expected behavior? Seems to me the enemy player would either destroy what's being built or if captured, just add it to his queue.
Yes, I'm losing this game. :shock:

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Build Queue

#2 Post by defaultuser »

Yes, that's the way it's always worked. If you recapture the planet production picks back up so you don't lose the PPs you put into that. Buildings are different, they transfer to the conqueror. That can be good if you get a mostly built item, but a pain if it's a bunch of stuff don't want so you have to delete them from the build queue.

I don't know what the in-game explanation for that would be.

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

defaultuser wrote:Yes, that's the way it's always worked. If you recapture the planet production picks back up so you don't lose the PPs you put into that. Buildings are different, they transfer to the conqueror. That can be good if you get a mostly built item, but a pain if it's a bunch of stuff don't want so you have to delete them from the build queue.

I don't know what the in-game explanation for that would be.
Yes, when I capture an AI planet I get what they were producing there in my build queue.
However, when my planet is captured what I was building there should NOT be in my queue.
It should be in the capturing players queue.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Buildings transfer, so if you capture a planet that had a building in prgress that transfers.

Ships don't, a) the design might not be shared and b) it'd be annoying to accidentally complete someone else's ships you didn't want, plus balance concerns, etc.

I don't think ships should transfer. I'm ambivalent about whether they should stay in the original owners queue, if you recapture a shipyard relatively quickly you get your stuff to complete. I can definitely see the argument that incomplete ships are lost in the fighting.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

EricF
Space Dragon

#5 Post by EricF »

I never said anything about ships. When one of the human players planets is captured 'items' that were being built there are still being shown in the Human players build queue. I contend that they should not be. They should be in the capturing players build queue. Once one of your planets no longer belongs to you you should no longer have control over what is built there. Currently that is what is happening. I can delete things from my build queue that are being built at a planet I have no control over.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

EricF wrote:I never said anything about ships. When one of the human players planets is captured 'items' that were being built there are still being shown in the Human players build queue. I contend that they should not be. They should be in the capturing players build queue. Once one of your planets no longer belongs to you you should no longer have control over what is built there. Currently that is what is happening. I can delete things from my build queue that are being built at a planet I have no control over.
Ok, that's weird and new, I've never seen that.

Can you upload a zipped savegame to a Github issue? If it's multiplayer, note how many human/AI players there are.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

I haven't seen any buildings do that. I'd be interested in a screenshot of the queue.

EricF
Space Dragon

#8 Post by EricF »

Sorry, don't have that game anymore. Was losing. Started a new one.
OK, I see where the confusion is now. You assumed it was ships, because they do still stay in your queue.
Normal behavior. I'm the dummy here, because now that I remember it wasn't buildings it was, I believe, Outpost bases.
Which, in game terms, are ships. I wasn't thinking of them that way. My bad.
I still think it's a little odd that anything from that planet would still show up in your queue tho...

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

Yes, "bases" are actually interplanetary ships without ability to travel the starlanes. That makes more sense.

EricF
Space Dragon

#10 Post by EricF »

The origin of my confusion is that I never knew that 'Ships' remained in your build queue after the planet where it was being built was captured, but that buildings did not. I have no idea where you would document such a thing, though.

Nexus
Space Floater

#11 Post by Nexus »

MatGB wrote:Buildings transfer, so if you capture a planet that had a building in prgress that transfers.

Ships don't, a) the design might not be shared and b) it'd be annoying to accidentally complete someone else's ships you didn't want, plus balance concerns, etc.

I don't think ships should transfer. I'm ambivalent about whether they should stay in the original owners queue, if you recapture a shipyard relatively quickly you get your stuff to complete. I can definitely see the argument that incomplete ships are lost in the fighting.
Maybe random chance of being destroyed in the battle, or captured intact?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#12 Post by defaultuser »

MatGB wrote:Buildings transfer, so if you capture a planet that had a building in prgress that transfers.

I would guess that like for buildings, you wouldn't be able to complete a ship for which you didn't have the tech. As far as unwanted, I can't count how many partially-constructed buildings I have had to clean out of the build queue because I didn't need them. Not to mention tons of asteroid and organic related buildings that I can't even build.
Right now, from an in-game perspective, it's as if the conquerors just told the shipyards and drydocks to move these partially-build ships aside. That doesn't make a lot of sense, as if it were one that were able to be built you'd finish it, otherwise scrap it for parts and materials.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#13 Post by em3 »

Now that pausing is possible, maybe the WIP ships should end up in the conqueror's build queue, but paused and with a sitrep?

Of course, the conqueror should not be able to proceed with them unless they have the correct technology and happiness on the planet is back up.

Edit: This way you won't accidentally build ships you don't want, but can complete them once research is finished. Even having such an incomplete ship in your queue could give you research boost for the technologies it requires to complete...
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#14 Post by defaultuser »

I'm not too worried about the building unwanted ships. As mentioned, that already happens with buildings. "Oh look, another partial Genome Bank to remove from the queue."