My game testing thread

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: My game testing thread

#31 Post by MatGB »

user0169 wrote: But: In a real universe there are no "starlanes". I would propose to completely forget about the concept of starlanes. A planet should be reachable as soon as it is visible. It would be reached by one jump. The duration of the jump depends on the distance. This also would bring back sense to the observatory what was used in former versions. This would have a relation to reality. The supply could be measured in uu.
In a "real" universe there would be no FTL, which clearly starlanes enable. So they must therefore be some kind of wormhole network, a skein of rifts in spacetime that allow much faster travel to certain nodal points.

And at some point the game will probably tell you this—ie when I write it up in some way.

We're keeping colony ships for the foreseeable.

We're going to be balancing out supply propagation and make it a bit harder in the mid/late game at some point during the next Release cycle (well, I want to anyway), because yes, it currently is far too easy to extend supply at least one of Galactic Infrastructure of Gravitic Architecture need to be doing something else.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

user0169
Space Floater

#32 Post by user0169 »

Im still wondering from where i find those .cpp-files.

What i did was to install Visual Studio, but also there those files are not shown. Its not a Win7-problem, because the installation on WinXP also does not show them.

Possibly someone could give me an info from where i find them to check some more changes?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#33 Post by MatGB »

You need to download the source from Github, there are many threads and stuff on the Wiki about doing that so no need to repeat it.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#34 Post by Vezzra »

user0169 wrote:Im still wondering from where i find those .cpp-files.

What i did was to install Visual Studio, but also there those files are not shown. Its not a Win7-problem, because the installation on WinXP also does not show them.
The install packages won't install any source files or setup a FO development environment on your machine, just install the game itself. For that you need the SDK and pull the sources from github.
Possibly someone could give me an info from where i find them to check some more changes?
http://freeorion.org/index.php/Compile
http://freeorion.org/index.php/Compile_In_Windows

user0169
Space Floater

#35 Post by user0169 »

A bug occurred. Free Orion can not be started anymore after try to start it with Team Viewer from another (WinXp) PC some weeks ago. The system offers a debugger 'New instance of Microsoft Visual Studio 2015' which cannot be started. Re-install does not solve the problem. Is this known?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#36 Post by Geoff the Medio »

What does " can not be started anymore" mean?

In task manager, are there any FreeOrion-related processes listed as running? If so, end them.

Have you tried restarting the system?

How did you reinstall? To the same location? With or without uninstalling and deleting the FreeOrion install directory first?

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#37 Post by Krikkitone »

Vezzra wrote:Well, I do expect that a better/more fitting name for the colony ship will help and certainly can't hurt...
Sort of late response, but how about Ark ship/module?

(You have to take everything with you rather than being connected to supply)

Its not default method of colonization (not Colony Ship)
Its not STL (not Generation Ship)

user0169
Space Floater

#38 Post by user0169 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:What does " can not be started anymore" mean?
As shown in the picture, the program stops at the stage of generating universe. Meanwhile i found the reason. As soon as Team Viewer is running, Free Orion always stops at that stage. Its not a big problem, just ending Teamviewer solves it. But somehow not 100% ok.
Attachments
FObug.png
FObug.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 1172 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#39 Post by Vezzra »

FO clashes with TeamViewer during universe generation? That's... bizarre :?

cyphic_sOph
Space Krill

#40 Post by cyphic_sOph »

I think this might be a problem with the Working Directory not being set right.

I had a similar problem when starting in as debug Session out of MSVS, the buttons in the about dialog weren't working, as it could not find the license file (looking in the project directory instead of the output directory) and the button signals are only connected if the file is found.

I found it odd, as it seemed other files that were loaded using the same function (GetRootDataDir()), worked just fine. But then I realized, the paths of these were added correctly to the config.xml file, when i first started the game directly through the exe (and after renaming the config.xml and starting as debug session -> yep, crash directly after universe creation)

So
- either the working directory is set incorrectly (open about dialog from main screen, if clicking the buttons does not do anything, then that's the problem)
- or incorrect paths are saved in the config.xml (rename the file, start game, if it works, that was the problem (caused maybe in combination with the former at some point or moving the game directory ...))
- or its something completely different ... sorry can't help you from the provided amount of information in this case ...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#41 Post by Vezzra »

cyphic_sOph wrote:I think this might be a problem with the Working Directory not being set right...
But why would that be related to using TeamViewer in any way...?

user0169
Space Floater

#42 Post by user0169 »

v0.4.6:

- In state of peace the opponents fleets disturb logistic and production. Should be a bug? It makes the state of peace practically unuseable because the AI tends to put its fleets on the players planets.

EricF
Space Dragon

#43 Post by EricF »

defaultuser wrote:I don't like either of the suggestions. Early game is a time when colony ships are useful. I'm not sure which problem is needing a solution. Very new players are going to be confused about many things. Learning to colonize properly is something you learn.
Maybe give a short explanation about the difference between outpost ships and colony ships and the importance of placing your colony ship correctly in the startup welcome sitrep. Or better just a link to a Pedia entry for the colony ship.
I remember it was a little confusing for me when I first started, but luckily I read the excellent beginners thread here in the forums. You can't expect all new players to first look at the forums.

Of course I'm referring to CmdrKeen's: My personal strategy guide

user0169
Space Floater

#44 Post by user0169 »

v0.4.6:

there is a bug that the player cant build troops from colonized planets but only from the main planet and invaded ones.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#45 Post by defaultuser »

user0169 wrote:v0.4.6:

there is a bug that the player cant build troops from colonized planets but only from the main planet and invaded ones.
Unlikely. One of the new rules is that you have to have defensive troops at least two to build ships with regular troop pods (and four for the advanced troop pods). For newly colonized planets, that means that the population is so low that they won't have the troop strength unless you research Planetary Bunker.