Ship Hulls

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

Re: Ship Hulls

#76 Post by Bromstarzan »

Yes, MatGB, I'm just reworking the art to my own personal liking. The artwork that has been done with the ship hulls up to date are impressive and I feel like I trash them (sorry) with this kind of image list (removing colors, details and general simplification). However, without the images already made, I would have nothing to present, share and discuss. Hope I'm not stepping on too many toes here.

I'm a kind of person who like simlple, consistent (stylewise) presentation of graphics - and just happens to have a passion for blueprints - which adds a bit of homogeneity to the way the hulls are presented.

One way would be to just keep an "alternative" art-folder with the blueprints for people to install if desired (replacing originals).
It would increase the dl-size by ~8 Mb, or just have it as a downloadable mod somewhere on a forum.
Or, we'd make a poll to set the default to whatever people like. I have no idea what people prefer.
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#77 Post by Captain M »

:shock: Away for just half a year or so and my carefully textured graphics get turned into green wire-frames... :?
Anyway, here a new set of graphics for the self-gravitating hull:
Attachments
Icon
Icon
self_gravitating_hull_small.png (156.21 KiB) Viewed 10854 times
Side view (reduced size)
Side view (reduced size)
self_gravitating_hull-half.png (234.3 KiB) Viewed 10854 times
All code and graphics posted here are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#78 Post by Vezzra »

Captain M wrote::shock: Away for just half a year or so and my carefully textured graphics get turned into green wire-frames... :?
No worries, that proposal hasn't made it in yet. And unless we find another place to show off our nice models, I'm very reluctant to accept the blueprint/green wire-frame replacements (as appealing as they are in their own way). :lol:
Anyway, here a new set of graphics for the self-gravitating hull:
Very nice! :D

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#79 Post by Captain M »

... and a new version of the organic hull.
Attachments
Side View
Side View
organic_hull-reduced.png (232.7 KiB) Viewed 10807 times
Icon
Icon
organic_hull_small.png (117.18 KiB) Viewed 10807 times
All code and graphics posted here are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#80 Post by Captain M »

Since it was deemed not organic enough, I tweaked the texture and added some tentacles.
How about his?
Attachments
front view
front view
organic_hull_front.png (246.03 KiB) Viewed 10784 times
side view
side view
organic_hull_red.png (224.4 KiB) Viewed 10784 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#81 Post by Vezzra »

I think the new texturing is better, looking more "organic". However, it would be good to see a small/icon version of the graphic to see how well the new texture conveys "organic" when scaled down, because the "organic" look still depends very much on the texture.

I also have to admit that IMO the old organic hull graphic is very good, but AFAIK we don't have the source files for it, and of course your version fits far better with the rest of the organic hull line graphics (besides being very good to).

Bromstarzan
Dyson Forest

#82 Post by Bromstarzan »

@Captain M: :shock: Away for just half a year or so and my carefully textured graphics get turned into green wire-frames... :?
Don't worry, I appreciate your hard work with the models and texturing. I made these blueprints as an alternative way of presenting the ships in the design section. Did not really intend to (even try to) push these exemples into the build. For me personally, I'd like to have these less detailed drawings as it leaves more for the imagination. I just use my alternate folder of these blueprints/green wireframes when I'm in the mood. Respect for all your work Captain M :D !

Cheers,
/Broms
| i7 7700K [email protected] | GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | PSU: 750w | W10 x64 | 2xAcer1920x1080 |

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#83 Post by Captain M »

This is the icon version...
I always thought the old graphic is a quite impressive drawing, but not a rendered 3D-model.

@Bromstarzan: thanks and don't worry, that comment was just joking...
Besides, I thought it might be possible to use an animated gif of the rotating 3D models in the design screen, for which the blueprints could be used as background.
Attachments
Icon
Icon
organic_hull_small.png (100.86 KiB) Viewed 10760 times

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#84 Post by Vezzra »

Captain M wrote:This is the icon version...
Yep, seems to scale nicely.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#85 Post by adrian_broher »

Captain M wrote:animated gif.
No, just no. For various reasons.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

What Exit?
Space Floater

Aircraft Carrier Hull

#86 Post by What Exit? »

As an option, now that fighters are working. I wanted to submit the idea of a force-field covered old-school aircraft carrier hull. (yes inspired by that old Japanese cartoon of my youth where the Yamato was raised and given a spinal mount)

Both pics are based on public domain that I cleaned up for use with Paint.net application.

Attachments
carrier_small.png
carrier_small.png (86.91 KiB) Viewed 10480 times
Carrier.png
Carrier.png (664.59 KiB) Viewed 10480 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#87 Post by LienRag »

Vezzra wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:14 pm
banduri wrote:In the small images the ships are shown from a nice viewpoint. Wouldn't it honor the awesome work more, if the high resolution images look similar?
Probably, but those high-res images are intended for the design screen, and there you need a viewpoint that works well with the placing of the ship part slots.
Again, I stumble onto this old post.
And it reminds me how the Bio-adaptative Hull graphic is beautiful, but how Bio-adaptative ships look absolutely awful due to how the slots are positioned on the hull.
Any chance to have this solved one day ?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#88 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:01 pmAny chance to have this solved one day ?
You can easily edit the script to move them and make a pull request, or a post about it to discuss in more detail...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#89 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm
LienRag wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:01 pmAny chance to have this solved one day ?
You can easily edit the script to move them and make a pull request, or a post about it to discuss in more detail...
As much as I agree with you that FreeOrion, being free software, is a collective effort and that as such any contribution should be encouraged, I really don't believe graphic design to be one of my strong points...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#90 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 pm As much as I agree with you that FreeOrion, being free software, is a collective effort and that as such any contribution should be encouraged, I really don't believe graphic design to be one of my strong points...
It has nothing to do with graphics. Click on the link Geoff gave you.