races: alien races or all humans?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

races: alien races or all humans?

#1 Post by Satyagraha »

do you want alien races like in MOO or all human races with different ideologies like in Alpha Centauri?

i prefer conflicts between human ideologies, it´s more interesting imo. There´s also other benefits here:

1) gameplay: after leaving earth because of resource shortness, all factions start in nearby solar systems, all next to each other. there´s more early combat this way.

2) less balance issues.

3) less work/better output: it´s way less work to create the graphix for all human factions, and there will be more time for polishing.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#2 Post by utilae »

We want all Alien races + 1 human race (got have the human race). Naturally we could have a variety of races that are similar to humans, eg like Psilon, Evon (classified under humanoid).

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Krikkitone »

Well you definitely should have a setup/scenario maker option that allows that (pick your opponents so they could All be the same race.)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae »

Well, that would be included as well.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Tyreth »

It's all going to be open source and moddable, so anything's an option. The official campaign will have alien races - but I think that in fantasy and sci-fi settings, all other races represent snapshots of aspects of humanity.

snakechia
Space Floater

#6 Post by snakechia »

speaking of races, what was the reasoning behind MOO3 not letting you choose the races you played against? Come to think of it, why don't any of the Moo's allow you to choose?

If I want to woop a bunch of ants across the galaxy I should be able to...

end babble

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

what a silly question... obviously, you have not read this forum yet... please don't jump to conclusions before reading EVERYTHING there is on this game!!

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#8 Post by Daveybaby »

One thing that kinda amuses me is the sneaking suspision that the first race mod that gets produced for FO will be a set of Moo2 races :P

Just a hunch...
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#9 Post by leiavoia »

Q: will FO support an infinite number of selectable races? Not in the game, just in possible opponants. And also, will races be more or less drop-and-load or are they being hardcoded? Loading a .race file would be a real slick way to do it :-)

Starrh
Space Squid

#10 Post by Starrh »

leiavoia wrote:Q: will FO support an infinite number of selectable races? Not in the game, just in possible opponants. And also, will races be more or less drop-and-load or are they being hardcoded? Loading a .race file would be a real slick way to do it :-)
If it becomes possible to load a race file then people have the ability to make up any kind of race they want as. They would have to be given the parameters for that file. Of course you could do like stars and set up a interface that steps you through the race creation process. Which is probably the best that way you can control the balance of the game. If people start making their own race they would just max out population growth and all other parameters making it impossible to balance the game.
If it was easy then we all would be doing it!

snakechia
Space Floater

#11 Post by snakechia »

hmmm....I don't really understand the response Zanzibar...

My ants could have been replaced with four-armed sloths just as easily. But if i want to play against all the same race in one game it should be an option. Instead of the computer randomly selecting the races, you could choose each race in the galaxy or a few. I just hated when I played the MOO's and you wouldn't see a race a few games in a row.

I think choosing which races you play against also adds a little of a difficulty level. You could choose all hostile races or all diplomatic ones. I think it would be a good way to set the tone of each game.

It would also solve the problem of people wanting an all human-like game. They could just choose the computer to play as a bunch of humans.

I'm sure it will be possible in FO, but why wasn't it in the MOO's? Just seems obvious :idea:

The possibilities are endless...