GitHub migration procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: GitHub migration procedure

#196 Post by adrian_broher »

After using now github for several month I would like to point out some things:

* I created a `freeorion-utilities` repository were developers can put projects related to FreeOrion into. It's intended for utilities, that should be versioned and documented, but should not be part of the application source and are not big enough to warrant an own repository. For now I just uploaded the svn2git migration scripts there and I intend to upload the ticket migration scripts in the near future.

* No progress for the ticket migration so far. It's a lot of effort with minimal reward (for me: 'fun stuff to code') so please don't expect results anytime soon. This, however, should not further limit the usage of the builtin github issue tracker. So if anyone wants to use it feel free to enable the issues for the freeorion/freeorion repository.

* Could we please move the fo-svn-mirror repository to the freeorion-archive organization? It's irritating for me to see an outdated and, by purpose, duplicate repository in the organization overview and it could mislead other people.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#197 Post by Geoff the Medio »

adrian_broher wrote:* Could we please move the fo-svn-mirror repository to the freeorion-archive organization?
How would I do that?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#198 Post by adrian_broher »

Geoff the Medio wrote:How would I do that?
Go to the 'Settings' menu of the repository. Go there to the 'Transfer Ownership' entry of the 'Danger Zone'.
Resident code gremlin

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#199 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:* No progress for the ticket migration so far. It's a lot of effort with minimal reward (for me: 'fun stuff to code') so please don't expect results anytime soon. This, however, should not further limit the usage of the builtin github issue tracker. So if anyone wants to use it feel free to enable the issues for the freeorion/freeorion repository.
I already wanted to inquire about the status of that task, because I really want to enable the issue tracker on github. If we do that now, won't that complicate the ticket migration from SF? You'd have to somehow merge the migrated tickets with the ones that got created on github in the meantime...?
* Could we please move the fo-svn-mirror repository to the freeorion-archive organization? It's irritating for me to see an outdated and, by purpose, duplicate repository in the organization overview and it could mislead other people.
Done.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#200 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:I already wanted to inquire about the status of that task, because I really want to enable the issue tracker on github. If we do that now, won't that complicate the ticket migration from SF? You'd have to somehow merge the migrated tickets with the ones that got created on github in the meantime...?
Not really. I create 'new' issues anyway. The github API doesn't allow anything else.
Resident code gremlin

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#201 Post by Vezzra »

Apparently Geoff already activated the issue tracker (he has already opened a ticket), so everyone, please make use of this feature.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#202 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, I've updated the OP with things that got decided/done in the meantime.

One question came up for me: github offers a feature for publishing releases, where you can also offer binaries to download. Looks pretty neat, and I'm wondering if we should use it and offer our release installer packages on github too (in addition to SF)?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#203 Post by Dilvish »

If it's not too much trouble, sounds like a good idea to me.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

mem359
Dyson Forest

#204 Post by mem359 »

I was looking at the FO Programming wiki page http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Programming and noticed this line.

Code: Select all

To submit code changes, make an SVN diff patch file and post it on the forums. Be sure to note that you release your changes under the GPL 2.0 (or later) license.
What is the desired action, now that the transition from SVN to GitHub is over?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#205 Post by Vezzra »

mem359 wrote:I was looking at the FO Programming wiki page http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Programming and noticed this line.

Code: Select all

To submit code changes, make an SVN diff patch file and post it on the forums. Be sure to note that you release your changes under the GPL 2.0 (or later) license.
Well, ouch. That needs updating, we obviously missed that one.
What is the desired action, now that the transition from SVN to GitHub is over?
Creating a pull request for the master branch on our github repo.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#206 Post by Vezzra »

Vezzra wrote:Well, ouch. That needs updating, we obviously missed that one.
Done.

adrian_broher
Programmer

#207 Post by adrian_broher »

After almost two years I'm inclined to say that all developers and contributors have acclimated with git and GitHub. However there are still lose ends on the SourceForge side of things. None of the project pages points to the preferred location for project communication (e.g. this forum or the GitHub issue tracker) and there are other problematic places where an unknowing user could get lost. Could someone with administrative rights give me permissions for the SF project so I can clean up there (SF username marcel_metz)?
Resident code gremlin

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#208 Post by Dilvish »

adrian_broher wrote:Could someone with administrative rights give me permissions for the SF project so I can clean up there (SF username marcel_metz)?
OK, Done.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

adrian_broher
Programmer

#209 Post by adrian_broher »

Dilvish wrote:OK, Done.
Thanks.
Resident code gremlin

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#210 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:However there are still lose ends on the SourceForge side of things.
Yep, my bad, I didn't finish the cleanup back then. The problem was the cleanup of the old SF bug/issue/feature trackers. We wanted to try to migrate the open items to the github issue tracker, but got stuck with this (IIRC you wanted to experiment with some tool, can't remember why that didn't work out). Somewhere down the road it got pushed down on the priority list, and I never got back to it.

Well, I guess thanks for cleaning up my mess. :oops: