White Kraken

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

White Kraken

#1 Post by Jaumito »

What exactly is the deal with the Kraken in the Ice special? Found one, built a xenolab there, got a single White Kraken who looks like a toned-down Great K and doesn't (apparently) mature, and the special is gone? Is it just flavor or am I missing something?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: White Kraken

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Jaumito wrote:What exactly is the deal with the Kraken in the Ice special? Found one, built a xenolab there, got a single White Kraken who looks like a toned-down Great K and doesn't (apparently) mature, and the special is gone? Is it just flavor or am I missing something?
Well, you resurrected the kraken which was in the ice before.... And isnt that a great kind of pokemon ;)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#3 Post by Jaumito »

Ophiuchus wrote:Well, you resurrected the kraken which was in the ice before.... And isnt that a great kind of pokemon ;)
I suppose this means you indeed get only one? Because I just found an old discussion where it's stated that the special can only be found on tundra planets, and since I colonized and terraformed this one, I was wondering if that's (the loss of "tundraness") what caused the special to vanish.

If trade ever gets implemented in the game, it might be fun to build zoos on planets and park as many critter variants as you can afford there, to boost trade revenues. I'd expect rarities such as a white kraken would give a substantial bonus.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

You get only one White Kraken, no matter if you terraformed the planet or not.

The cool think about it is that it is fairly strong if you get it fast (and certainly stronger than larval krakens), high damage and nice 500 or so HP.
If you find it mid/late game then it is just flavour (I set them as the "commanders" of my Kraken armies, haha).

Jaumito
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Jaumito »

Oberlus wrote:The cool think about it is that it is fairly strong if you get it fast (and certainly stronger than larval krakens), high damage and nice 500 or so HP.
If you find it mid/late game then it is just flavour (I set them as the "commanders" of my Kraken armies, haha).
Unfortunately, I found it late at the other end of a fairly large (400 systems) galaxy, and there isn't a single kraken nest in it, so no chance for it to ever lead a kraken army.

(OTOH, as the proud owner of 18 large Juggernauts and about 3 dozens large Snowflakes -- not counting their lesser brethren --, I shouldn't complain, and I still claim the title of Master of the Wild Beasts of the Galaxy. :lol: )

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Yeah, just the one, it's flavour, Sloth is sort of working on a whole series of 'make monsters actually a cool strategy' things, this is one, hopefully at some point we can do extra things with it tied to monster based techs/buildings/ship parts but for now it's a fairly cheap special thing. IIRC there's only ever one on a map.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.