Weird AI behavior (keeps depopulating own planet)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Weird AI behavior (keeps depopulating own planet)

#1 Post by Jaumito »

FreeOrion_v0.4.7_2017-04-24.60d06dc, Linux (cmake) build.

This is something I can't find an explanation for.

The game was a testbed of sorts, I wanted to see how fast and far the AI could expand if left on its own with plenty of room to play with. So I picked 3 maniacals AI in an absurdly large universe (4000 systems IIRC), low planets, low starlanes. Turns out it was a bad idea, I've since learned that those aren't the preferred AI settings by far, but anyway I'm not here to discuss this.

To the point: since the beginning of the game (now at turn 200), Blue AI keeps colonizing/losing a planet. I can only assume it's always the same planet, since I haven't met any AI yet. Here's the 'Colonies' graph (bottom only, sorry - I had to stretch the window over several workspaces for the behavior to be noticeable.)
colonies.png
colonies.png (11.04 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
Also, this:
planets.png
planets.png (42.82 KiB) Viewed 1992 times
So, what could cause the AI to do this, and why so regularly? Could there be a bug in the code where the AI evaluates whether a planet is inhabitable or not? Something else?

Morlic
AI Contributor

Re: Weird AI behavior (keeps depopulating own planet)

#2 Post by Morlic »

[quote="Jaumito"]
So, what could cause the AI to do this, and why so regularly? Could there be a bug in the code where the AI evaluates whether a planet is inhabitable or not? [quote]

Could be. Please post savegames and the AI logs so we can figure it out instead of doing random guesses.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

#3 Post by Jaumito »

Done.
Attachments
AI_3.log
(154.47 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
AI_2.log
(158.48 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
AI_1.log
(188.21 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

[The extension sav has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Other option is misusing Concentration Camps?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Jaumito
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Jaumito »

MatGB wrote:Other option is misusing Concentration Camps?
It's been happening since the very early game (about turn 20-30, I'd say), so unlikely. Unless the AI gets Concentration Camps tech for free.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Could be Trith or Eaxaw, both species start with it
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Does AI logs inform you of the species of the AI?

Jaumito
Space Kraken

#8 Post by Jaumito »

Oberlus wrote:Does AI logs inform you of the species of the AI?
Just checked, and you're right. Although there's indeed a Trith AI, it's actually a Laenfa (AI #3) that seems to have problems with depopulation - its in-log Empire name ("Union") matches the in-game Blue AI's.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

That's weird, it's maybe not got the phototrophic calculation right for a dim/no star system?
Mat Bowles

Morlic
AI Contributor

#10 Post by Morlic »

The planet in question (if you load the game as multiplayer and select the Union empire for a human player) is Maretta II:

- Medium Swamp for Laenfa (Adequate)
- Blue star
- Temporal anomaly special
(- irrelevant Resonant moon special)

The suitability report is completely broken (see screenshot)

The AI makes at least 2 calculation mistakes:

1) Phototrophic bonus is applied ignoring the condition that it requires a target population > 0.
2) GRO_PLANET_ECOL has an effect after population

I am working on a fix.
Attachments
PlanetSuitabilityBug.png
PlanetSuitabilityBug.png (90.63 KiB) Viewed 1902 times
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Morlic
AI Contributor

#11 Post by Morlic »

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Morlic wrote:Hopefully fixed in master:
I assume that only applies to the broken AI calculations, so the suitability report is still broken, right? In this case an issue about that should be opened.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#13 Post by Dilvish »

Morlic wrote:The suitability report is completely broken (see screenshot)
In the past I had noticed that the suitability report seems to go similarly broken (overestimating max pop for all species) on the actual turn that a planet became either apparently-depopulated or actually-depopulated via Evacuation, but never got around to tracking down just why. (Partly because that situation is relatively rare, and there is also some funny handling that makes the species icon be removed and the pop show as zero apparently one turn prior to it actually hitting zero and being totally converted to an outpost, destroying the Evac building before it autodestructs can allow the species to return).

It looks like this may be related, when the planet has a low enough pop that for some purposes it is getting treated like an outpost, but the pop is actually nonzero, then the projections wind up off. It reminds me of some trouble we had a while back in trying to get the projections accurate since some of the effects are gated by the target pop already being above zero, I think we had to make some sort of two-step process to get the projection right, but perhaps that is still being thrown off if the current pop is between zero and one.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by MatGB »

Dilvish wrote:
Morlic wrote:The suitability report is completely broken (see screenshot)
In the past I had noticed that the suitability report seems to go similarly broken (overestimating max pop for all species) on the actual turn that a planet became either apparently-depopulated or actually-depopulated via Evacuation, but never got around to tracking down just why.
That, we think, was fixed, it became more important with the Ancient Guardians as you tend to do a suitability report on the turn you capture them
Numbers in planet suitability report are wrong on the turn right after a planet has been depopulated · Issue #979 · freeorion/freeorion
It looks like this may be related, when the planet has a low enough pop that for some purposes it is getting treated like an outpost, but the pop is actually nonzero, then the projections wind up off. It reminds me of some trouble we had a while back in trying to get the projections accurate since some of the effects are gated by the target pop already being above zero, I think we had to make some sort of two-step process to get the projection right, but perhaps that is still being thrown off if the current pop is between zero and one.
I think the best approach is to remove such gates to population, they apply weirdly depending on timing anyway and it would be better to balance things differently, if you can live underground you can live underground, etc. I did take several out when I did the effects priority for population boosts but I almost certainly missed some.
Mat Bowles

Morlic
AI Contributor

#15 Post by Morlic »

Vezzra wrote:
Morlic wrote:Hopefully fixed in master:
I assume that only applies to the broken AI calculations, so the suitability report is still broken, right? In this case an issue about that should be opened.
Done.