New features to test: ship design revamp & engines limited

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

New features to test: ship design revamp & engines limited

#1 Post by MatGB »

OK, the new test releases were put out by Vezzra earlier and I thought I'd try actively promoting some new features implemented and specifically solicit feedback.

The simple one was done after discussions on here, dbenage-cx has put in restrictions on engine parts so that you can't have more than one per ship, they've been improved to give a bigger speed boost and the n-dimensional engine can now be mounted in either an internal or a core slot. Part of the idea here is to reduce the overwhelming power that hulls with multiple internal parts can get and also it should mean that fleets tend to have lots of ships with the same speed. Hopefully with further testing we can de-nerf the Solar Hull a bit. NB: we still need more internal part ideas.

The much more complex change is mostly backend &UI but I've been testing it for a few weeks now and it's a significant step forward.

You can now edit delete and reorder your saved ship designs. In addition, you can rearrange the order that premade, designed and saved ships appear in the production window by dragging and dropping them up and down. You can also set a config option as to whether you the player wants to import any saved designs and any premade designs at the start of the game.

While I've tested it significantly and Geoff's confirmed the code is sound, feedback definitely useful here, some of the changes grew on me and some I'm still not sure about, but overall I think it's a substantial improvement to the design window.

Caveat: currently the premades will be in an even dafter order than they were before, I'm testing new orders for them and they'll be in the next test release, a BIG improvement for me as a scripter is the ease with which I can edit, rename, reorder or create new premade designs to test new features, etc.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: New features to test: ship design revamp & engines limit

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I was waiting for this :D

May I assume that older save games won't load on this test version?

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#3 Post by LGM-Doyle »

MatGB, thanks for posting a description of the design window saved ship changes.

As pointed out elsewhere this breaks saves. My attempt to make it save backward compatible, actually broke the current saves as you discovered. I fixed that in favor of breaking backward compatibility.

Starionx
Space Floater

#4 Post by Starionx »

Any chance of someone fixing the Kobuntura script?
They have 'great industry', yet their preferred focus is research... seems a little counter intuitive.

Starionx
Space Floater

#5 Post by Starionx »

Damn... I've obviously read the initial post incorrectly. I was hoping to be able to rearrange the order of the 'Producible Items list' as there are a number of things that pop up as the game goes on, that I will never build, but take up valuable visible real estate at the top of that list.
Sigh...

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Starionx wrote:Any chance of someone fixing the Kobuntura script?
They have 'great industry', yet their preferred focus is research... seems a little counter intuitive.
Completely off topic to this thread. But no, it's deliberate, they're not the only species that prefer doing something they're not as good at and it acts as a mild nerf on their otherwise overpowered stats. There's a thread on it somewhere when we set the preferences for all species that we wanted to have one.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#7 Post by MatGB »

Starionx wrote:Damn... I've obviously read the initial post incorrectly. I was hoping to be able to rearrange the order of the 'Producible Items list' as there are a number of things that pop up as the game goes on, that I will never build, but take up valuable visible real estate at the top of that list.
Sigh...
You mean of buildings? Yeah, that's still on the to do list, hopefully someone will get to it at some point, it's beyond me but I asked for both together, ships were a bigger priority though.
Mat Bowles

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

Starionx wrote:Damn... I've obviously read the initial post incorrectly. I was hoping to be able to rearrange the order of the 'Producible Items list' as there are a number of things that pop up as the game goes on, that I will never build, but take up valuable visible real estate at the top of that list.
Sigh...
In case you refer to ships, you can set that list at your please: in the ship design window, at the list of finished designs (that include the ones that appear automatically when you have the required techs) you can grab and move up/down a ship design or remove it from the list (right mouse->obsolete design), and what you see there is the order you will get in the "producible items list".
At start and when I get certain ship techs I always go to the ship design window to remove the unwanted/obsolete designs and order it at my will, so that I get a more manageable and to-the-point list of ships.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#9 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Oberlus, the design window changes that MatGB described allow you to edit the saved designs which persist between games. If you have a preferred set of ship designs, you can keep them from game to game. This is described in greater detail here.

Starionx
Space Floater

#10 Post by Starionx »

MatGB wrote: Completely off topic to this thread.
Sorry about that. :(
MatGB wrote: But no, it's deliberate, they're not the only species that prefer doing something they're not as good at and it acts as a mild nerf on their otherwise overpowered stats. There's a thread on it somewhere when we set the preferences for all species that we wanted to have one.
Ok, thanks.
MatGB wrote: You mean of buildings?
Yes.
MatGB wrote: Yeah, that's still on the to do list, hopefully someone will get to it at some point, it's beyond me but I asked for both together, ships were a bigger priority though.
Ok, thanks.