Connection to server lost

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

damnmulletdesign
Space Krill

Connection to server lost

#1 Post by damnmulletdesign »

Hello,
I apologizeif there is a thread which currently covers theissue I am having. I quickly scanned thread titles and failed to see on. I am new (great game by the way) and have started to get it. Im now on my 4th game and at cautious and and 65 turns from winning, 3 heads on the spike, and now... each time i try to load the saved game, and all of the autosaves, it gives me a connection to server lost shortly after everything materializes and boots me to the main menu.... What server!? Help!! I really wanted to finish my win! Thankx

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Connection to server lost

#2 Post by Vezzra »

What version/build of FO are you using? Which platform are you on? What are you systems specs?

Also, the log files from immediately after the crash would be very helpful.
damnmulletdesign wrote:What server!?
FO is a client/server app. The game server is launched automatically in the background when you start a single player game, and based on what you describe my guess is that the server process crashes (for whatever reason). Resulting in the game client to loose connection.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Also, have you downloaded more than one version? (eg the formal Release and a recent test build)

The most frequent cause of that is incompatible saves, because there's so much development savegames are frequently incompatible between versions.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

In case you have any trouble locating the log files, their location for the various OS's is described here. freeorion.log is the player log, freeoriond.log (note the "d") is the server log, and the various AI_X.log files are, surprise surprise, the AI log files. It's the player and server logs that would likely be most helpful here.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0