Are custom ship designs essential to playing?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

mwobuddy
Space Floater

Are custom ship designs essential to playing?

#1 Post by mwobuddy »

I've started testing out this function and it seems like there's a number of ships you can't get in the base game without creating your own from the hulls. I used to make improved engine coupling and thought they automatically get added to any ships, but it seems like in order to use them you have to create your own ship or find one of the basic ships which has it (if there's any).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Are custom ship designs essential to playing?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You do have to add parts to ship designs, and then produce ships of those designs, to make use of the parts.

Whether this is essential to play the game is debatable.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

mwobuddy wrote:I've started testing out this function and it seems like there's a number of ships you can't get in the base game without creating your own from the hulls. I used to make improved engine coupling and thought they automatically get added to any ships, but it seems like in order to use them you have to create your own ship or find one of the basic ships which has it (if there's any).
Correct. There is, I think, one design using couplings, I added it in.

We discussed this a lot and it would basically be impossible to have every possible design variant that players might want and/or need, so reworked them to be exemplars of certain types of design that suit a particular playstyle (mostly, at the moment, mine).

You basically need to be working with the design screen, but you can save designs you like so they're always there for future games so as you get the hang of things you can decide what your standard preferences will be.

Mostly the examples assume you're going down the standard/robotic/constructed hull route, other hull types are barely there, organics are particularly badly catered for, but organics are also more advanced in play technique and you know how to use their strengths to do well with them.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

mwobuddy
Space Floater

#4 Post by mwobuddy »

I'm getting a feeling that the fewer slots there are on a ship, the more the base stats matter in terms of ship design focus, and vice versa.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

As you play, you'll probably find some custom ship designs that you like. You can save these to files, then they'll be loaded and available to you in subsequent games. When you're designing, there will sometimes be trade-offs. Robotic hulls only have one internal slot, so you have to decide on shields or extra fuel tank.