[Resolved] Rebuilding in visual studio

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

alleryn
Space Dragon

[Resolved] Rebuilding in visual studio

#1 Post by alleryn »

Hi,

I'm a complete novice at this stuff (this will soon be readily apparent :? )

I followed the instructions on the wiki and successfully compiled. I'm using visual studio community 2017. I downloaded the core, the core c++ (desktop development), and the v1.40 tools (sorry if some of this information is imprecisely worded or even outright incorrect, but this is what i did to the best of my knowledge), along with the latest FreeOrionSDK and latest version of git.

During the process, the bootstrapper successfully used git to fetch the latest commit of the freeorion/freeorion repository, i built the solution successfully in Visual Studio, and now have a working version of FreeOrion.

My question now is after i edit some .cpp file to make a change, am i doing the right thing to simply go to Build > Rebuild Solution? This seems to rebuild the entire project, where i would think that if i've only made a small change to one file, there should be only some small list of dependencies that would need to be recompiled. I've googled and read some responses on stack overflow, superuser, and so on, but i still don't have a good picture of what's going on.

Thanks,
alleryn
Last edited by alleryn on Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Rebuilding in visual studio

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Rebuild != Build

Build compiles and links. Clean deletes everything that was the result of a build. Rebuild means clean then build.

alleryn
Space Dragon

Re: Rebuilding in visual studio

#3 Post by alleryn »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Rebuild != Build

Build compiles and links. Clean deletes everything that was the result of a build. Rebuild means clean then build.
Thank you! I was thinking it would be just the opposite. I was thinking of when something is partially destroyed and you rebuild it, you don't tear the thing down first. Anyways, dumb assumption (as most assumptions are) on my part, haha. Thanks, again.