request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

request: starship renderings

#1 Post by miu »

We'll need starship pictures in 0.2 for scout, markI-IV and defense base. These will be shown at planetary view. Renders at 250x150. Icons for those ships will be these made by KA: http://3dtowns.at/freeorion/index.html so use them as reference.
No poly limits, no limits for texturing and effects - make them look good :)
2d-drawings accepted as well.
Last edited by miu on Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by pd »

i think we should use placeholders for this until we are creating race specific ships.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by miu »

good that you said. Yes, these very probaply won't be in final version of Free Orion, but are needed in 0.2. (and I know there are people here eager to model spaceships, this is your change). And if these are done well, its possible to them later as base for ships for one race.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Satyagraha »

does anyone know some good tutorials for texturing low-poly spaceships? i found a bunch for organic low-polys, but they don´t work well with shapeships because everything gets distorted... i can´t get it right :(

i wanted to do stuff like this, it´s low-poly, but the textures add a lot of detail & make it look nice.
http://www.turbosquid.com/HTMLClient/Fu ... ullPreview

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

[...] the textures add a lot of detail & make it look nice.
of course they do.

to prevent distortion you need to set up the uvw coordinates right... if you use max you can use texporter or unwraptools to get them into a paint program, where you can start painting.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#6 Post by Zanzibar »

Last edited by Zanzibar on Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

Last edited by Zanzibar on Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#8 Post by Zanzibar »

Scout 01

DOGA source file

I'll do mark 1 - 4 either later today or tomorrow.

Hatti
Space Krill

#9 Post by Hatti »

Hi,

Base 01 and Scout 01 are very nice.
Colony 01, I don't know but to me it looks more like another Base

Regards, Hatti

Underling
Space Squid

#10 Post by Underling »

Hatti wrote:Hi,

Base 01 and Scout 01 are very nice.
Colony 01, I don't know but to me it looks more like another Base

Regards, Hatti
I agree about base & scout. Pretty nice designs.

As for Colony 01, I think it might just be an orientation issue for the model. It looks as if the picture has the engines down, thus putting it in an orientatoion we expect for star bases rather than the horizontal orientation we normally see for ships.

Other than that, it looks great, too.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#11 Post by Satyagraha »

pd wrote:to prevent distortion you need to set up the uvw coordinates right... if you use max you can use texporter or unwraptools to get them into a paint program, where you can start painting.
i use maya with the standard UV texture editor. the problem is: if i use cylindrical or spherical mapping or try to texture multiple faces at once using planar mapping, there´s distortion. if i map each single face, it takes forever and getting all the seams right takes even longer. do you know a plugin for maya that can help here?

drek
Designer Emeritus

#12 Post by drek »

i use maya with the standard UV texture editor. the problem is: if i use cylindrical or spherical mapping or try to texture multiple faces at once using planar mapping, there´s distortion. if i map each single face, it takes forever and getting all the seams right takes even longer. do you know a plugin for maya that can help here?
Setting up textures correctly can be more difficult than actually modelling.

The "easy" way of doing it is to give each little component of the ship it's own texture map, allowing the details of the ship to be represented by geometry rather than drawn on textures. Since there's no requirement for low-poly models at this stage, that's the method I would use.

For low-poly models, there's a variety of tutorials on the 'net concerning UV mapping. It takes practice, skill, and maybe a little talent to do correctly.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by pd »

the standard mapping methods like planar, cubic, cylindrical, spherical are only a base to fit the general shape. you have to tweak them in the uv editor until stretching is (nearly) gone(this means moving vertexes edges and polys in uvw editor!). it's very helpful to apply a checkered map to the model while working on the uvws, because you can easily see the stretching on this in the viewports.

mapping each single face isn't a good idea, because you won't be able to paint on this.... the aim is always to have as few uv chunks as possible while still having minimal stretching. there are some plugins out there, automating the process of uvw setup, but they all are commercial and i don't trust them ;) i prefer setting my uvws up on my own *g*
Setting up textures correctly can be more difficult than actually modeling.
yes, it's an art for itself... i hated it when i started with it.. but nowadays it's the same fun as modeling to me.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#14 Post by Zanzibar »

Yes, you guys are right, I totally figured out that I had done the colony ship completely wrong at work today... here's a much improved version:

DOGA source file

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#15 Post by Zanzibar »