Renaming a system only changes it in the map

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Renaming a system only changes it in the map

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I've made my first system renaming today (playing master version pulled yesterday).
The new name is shown in the map, but the old name is still in the Objects Window, the sitreps and the items of the production queue (e.g. it says a ship is being built in <old_name> instead of <new_name>).
I would consider this a bug. Do you agree?

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: Renaming a system only changes it in the map

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

Oberlus wrote:I've made my first system renaming today (playing master version pulled yesterday).
The new name is shown in the map, but the old name is still in the Objects Window, the sitreps and the items of the production queue (e.g. it says a ship is being built in <old_name> instead of <new_name>).
I would consider this a bug. Do you agree?
Somewhat, it's rather a known bug. In the current implementation changing an universe object doesn't necessarily propagate to all UI components, or not all UI components listen for object changes. Are the corresponding UI elements updated when you finish a turn or do they display the stale information indefinitly?
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

It's been several turns from the name change and the old name persists in the Objects Window and the Production Queue (sitreps are right once you advance one turn after the change name).

I've checked that there is no open issue mentioning renaming/rename. Should I open one?

adrian_broher
Programmer

#4 Post by adrian_broher »

Oberlus wrote:I've checked that there is no open issue mentioning renaming/rename. Should I open one?
Please do so and write down the steps how to reproduce this issue.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#5 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:It's been several turns from the name change and the old name persists in the Objects Window and the Production Queue (sitreps are right once you advance one turn after the change name).

I've checked that there is no open issue mentioning renaming/rename. Should I open one?
I think you are looking at planet names, and not system names-- I just checked the use of system names in the objects window and in the production queue (where they are mostly used for Rallying), and they were renamed just fine. Renaming a system does not rename the planets in the system.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Dilvish wrote:I think you are looking at planet names, and not system names
Doh! You are right! Problem solved.