0.4.8 roadmap

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#61 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Here's what I have so far, based on the logs and some posts on the previous page of this thread...
Thanks for doing this again! I've created a PR for the release branch from this. Anybody who wants to help checking is very welcome to do so until the deadline for RC1 (tomorrow 1pm UTC). Please leave your reviews with your suggestions for corrections/additions/changes there.

I'll try to take a look at this before I produce RC1 tomorrow myself, and see if I spot anything you might have missed, but my chances to catch anything you didn't are probably quite low. ;)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#62 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, RC1 is due tomorrow, so last chance if anyone wants to get in something, or for requests to postpone the deadline. Otherwise I'll proceed as planned.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#63 Post by Ophiuchus »

@geoff withdrawl --> withdrawal
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#64 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I didn't spell check.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#65 Post by Vezzra »

Release Candidate 1 is out. Happy playtesting!!! :D

Morlic
AI Contributor

#66 Post by Morlic »

The population effect priorities were changed while moving the meter growth stuff into FOCS effects. Was the changed order of effects intended / discussed somewhere?

At the very least, the AI calculations are currently broken because of that. This is a pretty serious bug and must be addressed before release. Github issue
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#67 Post by Oberlus »

Morlic wrote:The population effect priorities were changed while moving the meter growth stuff into FOCS effects. Was the changed order of effects intended / discussed somewhere?

At the very least, the AI calculations are currently broken because of that. This is a pretty serious bug and must be addressed before release. Github issue
It may be related to this?
In that thread (not exactly the comment I link) changes to population effects priorities are discussed and some of them were applied. I guess @Ophiuchus or @Dilvish know about this.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#68 Post by Vezzra »

Well, that means there will be a second release candidate. The release management issue has been updated accordingly.

From what I can see considering the discussion of the pop effects priorities issue so far, this problem sounds pretty serious. Any idea how long it might take to fix this?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#69 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:From what I can see considering the discussion of the pop effects priorities issue so far, this problem sounds pretty serious. Any idea how long it might take to fix this?
Well, I've now put up a PR that fixes the one change I had noted before. I am unaware of any others, and have asked Morlic to confirm if he had noted any other changes. So hopefully that's all there is and we are ready. Bah, OK now the Issue page just updated for me and I see that Morlic has noted several more conflicts; If we can have enough discussion today to decide what type of fix we want (i.e. are the changes desired and so we adjust the AI, or do we revert the changes as I had proposed for GOOD_POPULATION) then a reversion could be done essentially immediately and an AI adjustment could probably be done within a couple days or so.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#70 Post by Vezzra »

Following the continued discussion here and on github I get the impression that cleaning up that pop effects priorities stuff is going to be a bit more complicated (also prone to error on the first try). And then there are a few other fixes as well proposed for cherry picking into the release branch.

So, my suggestion for the deadline for RC2 would be coming Sunday (24th), or maybe the Monday after (25th), depending on my schedule (I prefer to make RC builds on days that aren't packed with other stuff). Coming Friday (22nd) would be a bit too tight I guess, and I don't want you guys to rush things (that's just a sure recipe for new bugs). If you think you need more time, I can offer 28th/29th (again depending on my schedule).

Ok, take your pick. ;) How much time do you think you'll need to sort those issues out, what should the deadline for RC2 be?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#71 Post by Vezzra »

As the fixes that have gone in for the pop effects priorities stuff apparently will need some playtesting to figure out how game balance has been affected and probably going to need further adjustments to fix resulting balance problems, as well as having two mandatory and two optional PRs (that would still be nice to have in 0.4.8 though) pending, making RC2 tomorrow (Monday) is most likely not a reasonable option.

So, tomorrow builds will again be pre-RC2 test builds, and RC2 cannot happen before Friday (won't have time until then). Some feedback here about a reasonable estimate of when RC2 could be ready would be welcome. For the time being the deadline for RC2 is still "to be determined". I'm having a hard time trying to guess how long it might take to get the remaining stuff done...

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#72 Post by Vezzra »

It took us a month, but finally it looks like we've addressed all the issues that popped up with RC1. The last release blocking bugs have been fixed, and only two more fixes are left that have been proposed for cherry picking into the release branch: PR#2200 and PR#2202. Both seem to be ready (or almost ready) to go in, so I decided to set a deadline for RC2: Friday, 13th, 1pm UTC (and no, we won't have any silly jokes about that date, thank you very much). The deadline for declaring the release has been set to Sunday, July 22nd, 1pm UTC.

To the people working on these PRs: please try to get them finished until Thursday. If that's not possible, but you want them in 0.4.8, give me an estimate on how long it will take you to finish them, so I can adjust the deadlines accordingly.

The release management issue has been updated.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#73 Post by Vezzra »

I've put up a PR with some final updates to the changelog: PR#2212. Whoever can spare the time, please review.

PR#2200 has been merged and cherry picked, which only leaves PR#2202 still open of those which have been suggested for inclusion into 0.4.8. As this fixes a merely cosmetic bug, I don't intend to delay RC2 if it doesn't go in and get cherry picked in time. But of course it would be nice to have it in the release, so if you could finish this, you still got some hours left. When you merge the PR, it would be good if you could do the cherry picking also, in case conflicts occur (which I'm ill fitted to resolve).

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#74 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:PR#2200 ... would be nice to have it in the release....
Done

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#75 Post by Vezzra »

Excellent, thanks!