"Bad Environment" is confusing

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

"Bad Environment" is confusing

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I find confusing the label of the gaseous metabolism population malus:

GASEOUS_LABEL
Bad Environment

Regardless of the environment (for Sly, gas giant: good, asteroids: uninhabitable, anything else: hostile), you get the gaseous malus, so why call it "bad environment"?
I suggest call it "gaseous metabolism".

Edit: or "very bad/awful population", as it is actually a -50% akin as the -25% of the bad population trait.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: "Bad Environment" is confusing

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:I find confusing the label of the gaseous metabolism population malus:
GASEOUS_LABEL
Bad Environment

Regardless of the environment (for Sly, gas giant: good, asteroids: uninhabitable, anything else: hostile), you get the gaseous malus, so why call it "bad environment"?
I suggest call it "gaseous metabolism".
I apparently had somehow managed to not notice what that label actually read-- I agree that 'Bad Environment' does seem somewhat peculiar for a species' native environment. Having just checked this as part of the recent corrections to pop calcs and AI, however, I'll note that the malus only applies when actually on a Gas Giant:

Code: Select all

scope = Source
            activation = And [
                Planet type = GasGiant
                HasTag name = "GASEOUS"
            ]
So, simply "Gaseous Metabolism" is probably not quite right either.

It could be that a suitable label might be something more specific to Gas Giants like "Crushing Gravity".

I'd suggest opening an Issue about it.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Dilvish wrote:It could be that a suitable label might be something more specific to Gas Giants like "Crushing Gravity".
As there is no explanation component about where that crushing gravity malus is coming from, we should rather call it "Gas Giant Crushing Gravity", "Gas Giant Environment", "Gas Giant Gravity" or similar...
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Ophiuchus wrote:...we should rather call it "Gas Giant Crushing Gravity", "Gas Giant Environment", "Gas Giant Gravity" or similar...
Sure, I like "Gas Giant Crushing Gravity" just fine.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

Issue opened: #2177