New win 10, orion does not run

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

godel
Space Dragon

Re: New win 10, orion does not run

#16 Post by godel »

Could you recommend a low price half height but compatible video card?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by Oberlus »

If the computer has faulty memory sticks, wouldn't be better (and cheaper) to replace them before thinking of adding a graphics card?

There are videos and tutorials of how to replace the RAM of a Dell 760.

godel
Space Dragon

#18 Post by godel »

I can replace them and,yes, should.
8G of ram should not cost more than the computer (refurbished $130) but it does.
Maybe I talk to the seller.
But if that image loaded into the video cards memory, maybe that would bipass the problem, which only showed up on one test.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#19 Post by Dilvish »

godel wrote:8G of ram should not cost more than the computer (refurbished $130) but it does.
what specific kind of memory are you looking for? Quick checks at Amazon and at TigerDirect suggest that you should be able to get 8GB of laptop RAM for something like $60-70
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

#20 Post by godel »

Passed win 10 memory test

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by Oberlus »

godel wrote:Passed win 10 memory test
Congratz! (unless this means that the problem with running FO is not solvable)

Re: the RAM prices, I concur with Dilvish. In Spain, each G.Skill (great brand) 2GB DIMM PC2-6400 800 MHz CL5 (best specs you can get for your motherboard) costs 24 € new. Assuming only one memory stick is faulty, 30 bucks should cover the replacement wherever you live.

godel
Space Dragon

#22 Post by godel »

It means that some memeory tests do pass, and only one did not, and I forgot which.
It means that memory is not certain for good or bad.

Dilvish

#23 Post by Dilvish »

Up above, it looked like you indicated the laptop had a total of 8GB memory. Is that in two ICs, or all together in one? If it's two, then it sounds likely that only one of them is failing and you could probably simply remove it rather than replace it, if you are wanting to avoid spending any money on this.

Note that if it is two ICs, they are probably arranged in a Slot A and a slot B, and if dropping down to a single IC that would need to be in Slot A, as opposed to being able to simply pull out either IC. So you could first pull the slot B memory card, and then if that doesn't work swap the one you pulled into Slot A (and then leaving the original slot A card out), and see if that works.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

godel
Space Dragon

#24 Post by godel »

Thanks.
I will look into the memory purchase problem.
I have not opened the del 760, (it is a desktop not laptop, btw)

Dilvish

#25 Post by Dilvish »

godel wrote:(it is a desktop not laptop, btw)
well that's even better then, much easier to open up and access the memory cards.

godel
Space Dragon

#26 Post by godel »

I have no idea how the game detects a memory fault, especially one that has shown up only 3 times since January. It does not show up in start up system test ever.
But I am going to presume something like a malloc fail. If so, keep that block, and try again? Most memory faults are single faults. It should be possible to work around them, right?

godel
Space Dragon

#27 Post by godel »

Would a compile style solution work on windows?
Where can I go to #define out the section that checks for bad memory?
Because if I can do that, if I can locate the problem, maybe I can find a way to fix it. For instance if a block of memory is bad, just malloc it and set it aside.
Or I could learn to live with a flaky app.
Oddly all other apps work and run very well, including a steam version of MOO2.

Dilvish

#28 Post by Dilvish »

godel wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:31 pm Where can I go to #define out the section that checks for bad memory?
The spot that throws the Exception you cited in one of your earlier posts is in GG/src/Texture.cpp at line 422. I suppose that instead of having it immediately throw the exception you could have it perhaps pause a few seconds and then try again (before then throwing if the problem still occurred).

godel
Space Dragon

#29 Post by godel »

Thank you for allowing me a better understanding of the problem from a programming standpoint.
I no longer think it would be a simple thing, but want to check further.

godel
Space Dragon

#30 Post by godel »

I was expecting to post a "you were right!" to this forum.
I have upgraded my computer's memory, found 3 sticks from one manufacturer and one stick of another.
Second try, it turned on.
And produced the attached crash log.

(I still think that if every other app can deal with my old wonkey memory, that free Orion should. But that oppertunity to fix and test is now gone. )
freeorion crash log.txt
crash log
(162.17 KiB) Downloaded 181 times