Icon Request: Allies

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Icon Request: Allies

#16 Post by Vezzra »

Krikkitone wrote:How about overlapping rings (venn diagram style) for a 'non military' alliance.
Like this suggestion best so far.

Bestary
Space Squid

#17 Post by Bestary »

I'm supporting shield icon. It's very visually for a small game window. I can try to create those three icons if others have nothing against this. ;3
Ouaz wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:53 pm The "war" icon posted by AndrewW (the two crossed swords) looks good in-game.

But for the "allied" diplomatic status, rather than a handshake, why not use a shield (as opposite to the swords), meaning each empire will defend/help the other one?

After tweaking this:

diplomacy_icons.png
It was first time I saw big war icon. :D Small looks better.
P.S. Please, call me by @ nickname or contact by e-mail if you want say something directly to me. ^^

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Bestary wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:01 amI can try to create those three icons if others have nothing against this. ;3
Sure, go ahead. If what you come up with is better than what we currently have (which, considering what we have now, seems likely), it will most likely be accepted.

Bestary
Space Squid

#19 Post by Bestary »

Finished. :) War icon was really impossible, it takes a lot of time. >_>

It was good experience for me. ^^ @Ouaz, if you please, I taked your screenshot, I'm too lazy lynx. ^_^'
Attachments
icons4.png
icons4.png (56.98 KiB) Viewed 11120 times
P.S. Please, call me by @ nickname or contact by e-mail if you want say something directly to me. ^^

Bestary
Space Squid

#20 Post by Bestary »

Stages of war icon. (first one is really "beutiful") :D
Attachments
icons.png
icons.png (70.8 KiB) Viewed 11120 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The one to the left of "Seigniory" looks pretty good to me.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#22 Post by Ouaz »

That's what I call a pretty good work.

The green shield for alliance, the red/orange swords for war, and the yellow color for peace... very good idea alongside the redesign.

I agree with Geoff, the best war icon is the third one on the line.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Bestary
Space Squid

#23 Post by Bestary »

Thanks, guys, very happy that you find them good. ^^' It was a start idea - to make color difference of icons (cause they are too small, color helps make difference between allies and enemies).

But very dislike war icon which you find good. :lol: Find it too complicated (a reason why I drew another ones). Wants to hear more opinions for choise, still...

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#24 Post by Ouaz »

war1.png
war1.png (13.36 KiB) Viewed 11089 times
--------------
war2.png
war2.png (14.38 KiB) Viewed 11088 times
1 - Looks good. Lighting is on the blades, the handles being darker gives a good contrast.
2 - Too big and cartoonish.
3 - Looks like a thinner model of 2. With the lighting on the handles too, the icon is too busy/overloaded compared to 1.
4 - The same model as 1, but without the lighting on the blades. A little too dark then.

My favourite is definitely 1.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#25 Post by Ophiuchus »

I also like small war icon 1 most. It feels easiest to distinguish from the yellow peace, green alied... icons (so I expect with to have an overview of the affiliations even with a quick glance to the list). I think the other war icon versions without the highlights "drown" a bit. Maybe the handles could be a little less detailed/noisy.. but else i think its superb
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Bestary
Space Squid

#26 Post by Bestary »

@Quaz
... I see two rabbit ears!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: When I resized previos of it, I saw two flaming feathers. ^.^

Actually, other points in you list just different versions/stages of the point 1. :)
Attachments
icons1.png
icons1.png (6.36 KiB) Viewed 11043 times

Bestary
Space Squid

#27 Post by Bestary »

@Ophiuchus
Maybe the handles could be a little less detailed/noisy..
Good idea, I will try to do something with them.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#28 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:46 pm1 - Looks good. Lighting is on the blades, the handles being darker gives a good contrast. [...] My favourite is definitely 1.
This.

I think Ouaz assessment is spot on, pretty much what I think too.