In honour of FreeOrion developers and contributors

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

In honour of FreeOrion developers and contributors

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I love FreeOrion. I love it not only for it being an awesome game. For me it is way more than that. If all in this world was driven by the same impulses, it would be a better place to live on. This may seem a bit exaggerated, but that's not true.

I'm drunk (a bit), but that is not the reason nor the excuse for this post, although it might be the trigger. What I'm writing here is what I think all the time.

In no particular order:

Geoff the Medio: I've come to love (very quickly) your succinct and concise (just one synonym is not enough) answers. If all people in Internet were like you, Google would expend way less energy than its current 8 TWh/year and the environment would be less damaged. Current mass extinction would be less massive! And then there is your huge and skilful dedication

Vezzra: your social skills just astonish me. Constantly. When I first registered in this forum, my prime leitmotiv came from my admiration to how sensible, prudent and simpatico you were towards anyone, no matter what. You seem to be immune to tiring people (I really envy that).

Dilvish: I love you too! No matter how long and overly explanatory are your posts :lol: We know I've reacted rather overemotionally to some of your answers, and yet that does not make me appreciate you any less. Thank you very much for all the times the AI has kicked my ass.

Morlic: That (the AI kicking my ass) goes for you as well. I take a bow for you too.

Cjkjvfnby: And for you! Any time I wonder if I could help in the AI development and I take a look into the code I think "wow, this is too big for me".

Adrian_broher: I've learnt some very useful Linux command-line stuff from you. I'm sad of the way you went away from FO, but your work here will never be forgotten (at least as long as Internet does keep running, in the long run we all will be forgotten, here and in real live, but you get my point).

MatGB: You are another role model. From zero programming skills to awesome FOCS developing in less than a year, and for several years! And without any of the sarcasm that make famous English (from England) people (that is a joke, I love Britons too!). I wish you'd still be here, among us, in this forum, in this lovely game, bringing in some badly needed balancing.

LGM-Doyle: You did like some of my ideas in the past. That made me feel proud. And more important, you are another of the developers that is helping FO be a reality. Thank you.

Ophiuchus: Hell, dude, your dedication, your kindness and your skills are also something that we all should follow and imitate. BTW, didn't you have a child that was going to abduct you? :lol: I'm glad to know that parenthood is leaving you some time for FO (or at least that is what I heart-fully expect).

Jaumito: Great species ideas and implementations, incredible sense of humour, and a nick that makes me constantly wonder if you are French and/or Catalonian (or something else... maybe otherworldly ¬¬). I really lament not having (yet) played against you, 'cause that would for sure make my mind blow up. Your only "flaw" is that you don't submit your awesome species as PRs to GitHub and I have to copy your files myself :evil: :lol:

Kirkkitone: One of the elders! And still alive! (in the forum). I bow my head!

O01eg: I'm really running out of words. Keep up your greatly appreciated job with the public multiplayer server.

dbenage-cx, The Silent One, labgnome: OMG! I'm really running out of words and compliments, and I can't just repeat myself! (anymore). You're not only contributors to FO but nice and helpful forum users that help lost players like me to solve their issues. Thank you! Please forgive me for not dedicating separate lines for each of you.

Tyreth, tzlane, Aquitaine, Impaler, pd, eleazar, Bigjoe5, Mitten.O, Ouaz, and many more that no longer frequent this forum but have made this game possible. I haven't met any of you (well, some of you have made some brief incursions in the forum since I first joined) but you have all my admiration and gratefulness for your contributions.

And for all the players (actual contributors to the code and design or not), current and past, that have put their two (thousand) cents here in the forum, defaultuser, EricF, em3, alleryn... I see you! It's just that I can't name all of you.

Special mention to Voker57, you are evil (like me), but in the good way. Maybe, better said, you are acid, and I do enjoy that. With this post of yours I was laughing for like two hours straight, and then I got stiffs for two days. I just reread it and again I can't stop laughing.

Edit:
Bestary!: Your lovely species drawings are a great contribution. Keep up with the good job, and I hope you'll get time and strength to do more.
Its a shame I didn't add you in the first place. And I don't discard finding more gruesome oversights of great contributors.

Kudos for all of you!!

Hmmmm... Now I'm feeling bad for the possible awkward comparisons that some could be reading between the lines. I just love all of you!

PS: bear my English and the probably mix of American and British I'm doing, I must trust my browser suggestions.
Last edited by Oberlus on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Re: In honour of FreeOrion developers and contributors

#2 Post by Jaumito »

You do realize that now, everyone will want to know what it was you were drinking, right?
Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pm Your only "flaw" is that you don't submit your awesome species as PRs to GitHub
Several reasons for that. I thought it'd be good manners to wait for positive feedback from more than a couple persons before doing so - especially feedback about balance: I don't want to submit broken species (either way) that could ruin everyone's game. Plus I've been a bit lazy learning git, and I don't yet have a clear idea how to do that the proper way.

[edit]
Oh, and thanks for the kind words!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Jaumito wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 pmYou do realize that now, everyone will want to know what it was you were drinking, right?
World_Beer_Challenge_2014_Premio1.jpg
World_Beer_Challenge_2014_Premio1.jpg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
Several reasons for that
More than reasonable reasons! I was just kidding :lol:
Plus I've been a bit lazy learning git
Same here!

EricF
Space Dragon

#4 Post by EricF »

Many thanks for your kind words.
I hope I love the FO project as much as you do.
And I hope any criticisms of mine are taken in that light.
I echo your sentiments to the developers.
I can't thank them enough for there efforts.
God Bless and God speed.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

EricF wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 amI hope I love the FO project as much as you do.
Sure!
EricF wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 amI echo your sentiments to the developers.
I can't thank them enough for there efforts.
God Bless and God speed.
!!!
For me, FO (as well as free software) represents some of the best characteristics of mankind. Collaboration, humanism, altruism, perfectionism (in the good way), selflessness, art...

(Not drunk right now)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pmVezzra: your social skills just astonish me. Constantly. When I first registered in this forum, my prime leitmotiv came from my admiration to how sensible, prudent and simpatico you were towards anyone, no matter what. You seem to be immune to tiring people (I really envy that).
Well, thanks! :D (Although I have to admit it sometimes baffles me how people perceive me - I see myself as much more "normal" or "average" ;))

Of course, you've contributed your share just as much as everyone else. Judging by the amount of feedback you gave since you joined the project, you must have invested countless hours of playtesting, and that is every bit as important as writing code (or producing images, audio, content scripts, etc.). So I hope to see you continue contributing with so much dedication. :D

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:33 pmOf course, you've contributed your share just as much as everyone else. Judging by the amount of feedback you gave since you joined the project, you must have invested countless hours of playtesting, and that is every bit as important as writing code (or producing images, audio, content scripts, etc.). So I hope to see you continue contributing with so much dedication. :D
You can bet I'll keep around. I'm a professional procrastinator and FreeOrion is the best way to fulfil that "duty" without feeling I'm wasting my time.
Regarding countless hours of playtesting... I'd say I've played something between 300 and 500 hours. My wife and my boss must never know this.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pmGeoff the Medio: I've come to love (very quickly) your succinct and concise (just one synonym is not enough) answers.
Thanks.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:46 pmThanks.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#10 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:28 pmOphiuchus: Hell, dude, your dedication, your kindness and your skills are also something that we all should follow and imitate. BTW, didn't you have a child that was going to abduct you? :lol: I'm glad to know that parenthood is leaving you some time for FO (or at least that is what I heart-fully expect).
Thanks for your kind words, especially your responsiveness, ideas and test playing was invaluable for the imperial stockpile featue. It is good to have you around here.
And yes, the second wave of children arrived, but i can hide sometimes ;)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!