Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#226 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:31 pm
o01eg wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:17 amYes, technically it is possible to do.
More related inquires:
Would it be posible and a good idea to add some way for the player to ask for a delayed turn?
Something like it's friday evening, I've connected to play my turn but I know I won't be near a computer for three days, so I'd like to pospone turn pass for XX hours despite me issuing orders now and pressing Turn.
It could be a new button that asks for extra time. The game rules or server settings or whatever could have a maximum delay parameter agreed upon at start of game (say 48 hours). Optionally, also set a number of times a player can use that feature on a single game or week or whatever (to limitated what malicious players could do with this feature). Server would email the not logged players of changes with turn deadline updates (server could save for each player, on disconnection, the deadline time they last saw, and email them any time it changes until they log again).

I'm asking this because I know for sure that in some weeks of August and September I won't be able to play, for periods as long as 5 days in a row, and I think this game won't be finished by then.

An alternative, related to my holidays issue above: what about making the turn advance something like 5 days, with automatic advancement when all players press Turn? Using Magnate's example, there is no problem.
The only problem I see (there may be more): some player stop playing (so for the rest of the game turn advances every 5 days, dead by boredome) and s/he does not care or can not connect to concede or to warn other players of the situation. Thus there should be a way to remove a player from a game after some turns without connecting, or better a way to make the server not consider the absent players for the turn advance (so that if all the non-ábsent players have pressed turn, turn advances without absent player's input). This problem does no happen with the above suggestion of a button to ask for a delayed turn deadline, but that button would allow for malicious players to intentionally delay to bother the others.
Longturn FreeCiv games solves this issue with delegation system. The player points some other user to play turn for empire until the player revokes delegation.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#227 Post by Oberlus »

o01eg wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:42 pm
Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:31 pm
o01eg wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:17 amYes, technically it is possible to do.
More related inquires:
Would it be posible and a good idea to add some way for the player to ask for a delayed turn?
Something like it's friday evening, I've connected to play my turn but I know I won't be near a computer for three days, so I'd like to pospone turn pass for XX hours despite me issuing orders now and pressing Turn.
It could be a new button that asks for extra time. The game rules or server settings or whatever could have a maximum delay parameter agreed upon at start of game (say 48 hours). Optionally, also set a number of times a player can use that feature on a single game or week or whatever (to limitated what malicious players could do with this feature). Server would email the not logged players of changes with turn deadline updates (server could save for each player, on disconnection, the deadline time they last saw, and email them any time it changes until they log again).

I'm asking this because I know for sure that in some weeks of August and September I won't be able to play, for periods as long as 5 days in a row, and I think this game won't be finished by then.

An alternative, related to my holidays issue above: what about making the turn advance something like 5 days, with automatic advancement when all players press Turn? Using Magnate's example, there is no problem.
The only problem I see (there may be more): some player stop playing (so for the rest of the game turn advances every 5 days, dead by boredome) and s/he does not care or can not connect to concede or to warn other players of the situation. Thus there should be a way to remove a player from a game after some turns without connecting, or better a way to make the server not consider the absent players for the turn advance (so that if all the non-ábsent players have pressed turn, turn advances without absent player's input). This problem does no happen with the above suggestion of a button to ask for a delayed turn deadline, but that button would allow for malicious players to intentionally delay to bother the others.
Longturn FreeCiv games solves this issue with delegation system. The player points some other user to play turn for empire until the player revokes delegation.
If there are no users available other than the ones playing that same game, it would be weird to delegate on one of your enemies.
But since I'm here: Anyone around willing to play my game when I can't?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#228 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:07 pmBut since I'm here: Anyone around willing to play my game when I can't?
Can the authentication system support multiple allowed players for one empire?

Perhaps the moderator user type should have some way to adjust the player-empire associations and turn timing settings?

o01eg
Programmer

#229 Post by o01eg »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:07 pmBut since I'm here: Anyone around willing to play my game when I can't?
Can the authentication system support multiple allowed players for one empire?

Perhaps the moderator user type should have some way to adjust the player-empire associations and turn timing settings?
Current implementation requires empire/player name but sends OTP to login to all provided contacts. It possible to add contacts of delegate user here so he can login into game.

The only issue I still don't have any interface even for registration.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

The Silent One
Graphics

#230 Post by The Silent One »

Update to the latest weekly build for diplomatic status information, meatbags :mrgreen:
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#231 Post by Magnate »

Ladies and gentlemen we have a bug: last turn I bombarded an enemy planet down to 0 shields, 0 defence and it had 4.00 ground troops.

This turn there was a null combat (no shots fired) and the planet now has 1 shields, 1 defence and 7.00 troops despite me having armed ships in orbit. My troop ships have arrived and I am expecting to invade with 6 troops, but I can't because of this bug.

(By which I mean that the invasion button is not there because of the shields and defence, regardless of how many troops I have.)

o01eg
Programmer

#232 Post by o01eg »

Magnate wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:02 am Ladies and gentlemen we have a bug: last turn I bombarded an enemy planet down to 0 shields, 0 defence and it had 4.00 ground troops.

This turn there was a null combat (no shots fired) and the planet now has 1 shields, 1 defence and 7.00 troops despite me having armed ships in orbit. My troop ships have arrived and I am expecting to invade with 6 troops, but I can't because of this bug.

(By which I mean that the invasion button is not there because of the shields and defence, regardless of how many troops I have.)
I suppose it is a https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2488

Magnate
Space Dragon

#233 Post by Magnate »

o01eg wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:08 am I suppose it is a https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2488
Not quite - the planet has 1 defence as well as 1 shields. Very odd indeed.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#234 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 amNot quite - the planet has 1 defence as well as 1 shields. Very odd indeed.
The planet has defence 1 on every turn? Then combat would be triggering every turn and you would have no problem at all.
I assume it has defence 1 only on odd turns, and you can invade it on even turns.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#235 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 am
Magnate wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:24 amNot quite - the planet has 1 defence as well as 1 shields. Very odd indeed.
The planet has defence 1 on every turn? Then combat would be triggering every turn and you would have no problem at all.
I assume it has defence 1 only on odd turns, and you can invade it on even turns.
I am not sure how the pattern actually looks in the game. So an informed guess as effect application happens after combat:
  • Last turn on client: fleet will arrive next turn, defenses are non-zero
  • Last Turn on server: defenses were non-zero, there was combat, defenses got knocked down to zero
  • This turn on client: defenses are zero
  • This turn on server: defenses were zero, no combat happens. effect application grows defenses to one
  • Current turn on client: defenses are one
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#236 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 amI am not sure how the pattern actually looks in the game. So an informed guess as effect application happens after combat:
  • Last turn on client: fleet will arrive next turn, defenses are non-zero
  • Last Turn on server: defenses were non-zero, there was combat, defenses got knocked down to zero
  • This turn on client: defenses are zero
  • This turn on server: defenses were zero, no combat happens. effect application grows defenses to one
  • Current turn on client: defenses are one
That's what I think is happening.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#237 Post by Magnate »

Well, whatever's happening, it's a game-changer for me. Invading this turn would have been successful, but the extra ground troops arising from the turn without combat mean that next turn I won't have enough troops.

(Am I right that ground troops still don't grow when a planet is under siege? They didn't used to, but maybe this has been changed and they do now?)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#238 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:49 pm Well, whatever's happening, it's a game-changer for me. Invading this turn would have been successful, but the extra ground troops arising from the turn without combat mean that next turn I won't have enough troops.

(Am I right that ground troops still don't grow when a planet is under siege? They didn't used to, but maybe this has been changed and they do now?)
Well, until fix is merged, we'll have to live with it. The workaround is to program your troops to arrive at same time or two turns after your armed fleet.

It's an old bug now, several months back, but you don't use to find it on regular games with more systems per player because it does not happen once the planet owner researches Planetary Defence Regeneration.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#239 Post by Magnate »

I'm sorry, I would have played the entire game differently if I had known about this bug. I don't mind only being able to invade on alternate turns, but I do mind the ground troops increasing on the turns in between. His ground troops are increasing faster than I can build troop ships (thanks to defence focus) so I can never take the planet. That's not a tolerable bug.

Thanks for the game, I look forward to the next one. If anyone wants to take over from me, I'm happy for them to do so.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#240 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm Thanks for the game, I look forward to the next one. If anyone wants to take over from me, I'm happy for them to do so.
I've got a good start, but I don't mind starting a new one now.