request: starship renderings

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#31 Post by Zanzibar »

DOGA-L2 source code

re-made base using DOGA L2 textures and effects

drek
Designer Emeritus

#32 Post by drek »

Low poly ships can look fantastic.

http://www.eve-online.com/screenshots/2 ... efault.asp

Though it would be nice to have a few high poly models for splashes and other beauty shots.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#33 Post by pd »

you can always have the computer retesselate our models down to a lower poly count
i know, but i'm quite sure, that you will get problems with uvw-mapping/texture placement.
Low poly ships can look fantastic.
very true.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#34 Post by Zanzibar »

Complete remake of all ships with textures (could probably use some smoothing... can't do that though :( )

scout 1
DOGA-L2 source file

colony 1
DOGA-L2 source file

mark 1
DOGA-L2 source file

mark 2
DOGA-L2 source file

mark 3
DOGA-L2 source file

mark 4
DOGA-L2 source file

base 1 (in case you missed it earlier in the thread)
DOGA-L2 source file
Last edited by Zanzibar on Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noelte
Juggernaut

#35 Post by noelte »

I like them now much more, but as you said by yourself, there is some need to make them smooth. Now i'm getting a imagination of what they would look like ingame.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#36 Post by tzlaine »

I like these a lot too. Could you post images as PNGs in the future, so we can see what you see. The lossiness is making the images a little hazy.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#37 Post by drek »

Are there any license issues?

The geometry is snapped together from pieces provided by DOGA. Can images created via DOGA be released under the Creative Commons?

Xardas
Space Kraken

#38 Post by Xardas »

They look pretty good.
We are on the way to replace the untexutred models with the new ones in our gallery

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#39 Post by utilae »

They look sweet. 8)

Hey did you make those textures. Cause if I could make textures that look that good, textures would look better than the textures i've been using.

Odi
Space Floater

#40 Post by Odi »

just amazing, wonderful work Zanzibar :shock: :D Looks like everybody did very well while I was inactive... :)
zaba zaba zud zud

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#41 Post by miu »

Zansibar, looks good, your ships will be in 0.2 :) That scout could use little more detail, and take your time finetuning models if you want to. (though, these are placeholders, not final, so no need to ultrapolish them) After your final touches, could you export your models directly to .max or other common format that preserves the textures and I'll do the final renders.

Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#42 Post by Zanzibar »

Ok, first I want to appologize for being gone for so long. I had to move, and so lost internet access for about a week due to having to set up a new phone line.
drek wrote:Are there any license issues?

The geometry is snapped together from pieces provided by DOGA. Can images created via DOGA be released under the Creative Commons?
As far as I know, DOGA L1 is freeware, L2 and L3 are shareware. I don't see how using this in anyway violates any license issues. If you want to check out the DOGA site, by all means go for it.
utilae wrote:They look sweet.

Hey did you make those textures. Cause if I could make textures that look that good, textures would look better than the textures i've been using.
The textures come with DOGA L2. Download it and you will have them too :)
miu wrote:Zansibar, looks good, your ships will be in 0.2 That scout could use little more detail, and take your time finetuning models if you want to. (though, these are placeholders, not final, so no need to ultrapolish them) After your final touches, could you export your models directly to .max or other common format that preserves the textures and I'll do the final renders.

Thanks
What details would you like for me to add to the scout? I don't wanna make it look super-detailed because well, it's a scout... it's your first ship, and thus not very complex... DOGA exports only to the following file types:

3DFace DXF
Polyline DXF
VRML
Direct 3D

Since I believe direct 3d is the most standard of these types (I don't know that much about the other 3 types...) I'm gonna send you the files in Direct 3d format. For this, I will need your email address. Please IM me the email address, and I will email you the direct 3d files and texture files.

[edit]changed ship images to PNG format per request[/edit]

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#43 Post by pd »

i've never heard of direct 3d as a file typ. if you are going to export your models for use in max, maya, lightwave, whatever - i recommend using .dxf

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#44 Post by Zanzibar »

pd wrote:i've never heard of direct 3d as a file typ. if you are going to export your models for use in max, maya, lightwave, whatever - i recommend using .dxf
Should I use polyline or 3d face??

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#45 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, I decided to go with the 3dface format for DXF files. Since I'm on dial-up until around the 4th, I hosted the files on my website instead of emailing them. Here are the links to the files.

Base 1

Colony 1

Mark 1

Mark 2

Mark 3

Mark 4

Scout 1

The textures you may, or may not need...

Mechanical 1

Mechanical 2