Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#271 Post by The Silent One »

Sounds good, also a warm welcome to JonCST!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#272 Post by Magnate »

Hey all - how do I abuse weapons?? I'm not doing it consciously, and apologies if I have transgressed a norm!

So I didn't notice the alliance between oo1eg and The Silent One until I fought both of them in a single combat and saw that they didn't attack each other. Please can we have sitrep messages to say when other players make or break peace or alliances?

A couple of other things I think are misfeatures or bugs from this last game:

1. I agree that borders of molecular clouds and ion storms would be useful. Apologies to TheSilentOne, I assumed you knew that your ally's planet was inside the molecular cloud!

2. I don't like that all pops of a conceded empire vanish when s/he concedes. Not only does it really break immersion (where'd they go? Mass suicide??), but it really did for TheSilentOne's fleet - if the planet had still been there many of my shots would have targeted it and I would not have defeated his fleet in one turn.

3. That said, I don't like the randomness with targeting. I just lost two ships to Oberlus instead of one because several of my ships doubled up attacking a planet with 1 def and his fighters. I'd like to contribute some work on this, if someone would like to point me to the file(s) that govern targeting. I propose a weighting system that does not remove randomness completely but makes it less likely that you will waste six or seven shots on a planet. (Perhaps one day with a view to allowing limited target prioritisation orders.)

Oberlus - why'd you concede? You had a massive tech advantage over me, and I don't think I was outproducing you by much? My production was stuck at around 80 until I got industrial centre and adaptive automation in the last couple of turns (both of which you've had for a while!), and my research stuck at 37, which must be barely half yours!

Btw is it possible to turn graphs on at the end so we can look back over the game?

Thanks for the game everyone - I cried when I saw I was Egassem, but I got lucky with a large inferno as my first colony.

CC

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#273 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:49 pmHey all - how do I abuse weapons?? I'm not doing it consciously, and apologies if I have transgressed a norm!
No, MAgnate, you didn't do anything wrong. Mind my English. With "abuse weapons" I meant that you use many weapons and little armour on your ships. Totally legit.

Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:49 pmOberlus - why'd you concede? You had a massive tech advantage over me, and I don't think I was outproducing you by much? My production was stuck at around 80 until I got industrial centre and adaptive automation in the last couple of turns (both of which you've had for a while!), and my research stuck at 37, which must be barely half yours!
You're right. Maybe I wasn't that lost already. I had 100 PP (upping to 130 in 2-3 turns) and 70 RPs when conceded, but no more fleet and I thought you would have way more than 80 PPs (I thought of 150) due to you having at least two homeworlds, Egassem and Ugmors.
Anyway, I want the new player to get into it :D

Btw is it possible to turn graphs on at the end so we can look back over the game?
+1

o01eg
Programmer

#274 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:21 pm Let the games begin again?
I think start the game next weekly build. I'm going to change save format so I don't want to have a three days game.
Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:49 pm So I didn't notice the alliance between oo1eg and The Silent One until I fought both of them in a single combat and saw that they didn't attack each other. Please can we have sitrep messages to say when other players make or break peace or alliances?
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2457 will be available next weekly test build.
Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:49 pm 2. I don't like that all pops of a conceded empire vanish when s/he concedes. Not only does it really break immersion (where'd they go? Mass suicide??), but it really did for TheSilentOne's fleet - if the planet had still been there many of my shots would have targeted it and I would not have defeated his fleet in one turn.
Yeah, the game considers empire eliminated when empire have no ships and no planets, so there no other way to concede.
Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:49 pm Btw is it possible to turn graphs on at the end so we can look back over the game?
I've attached save game from last turn so all can see the game.
Attachments
FreeOrion_0058_20190726_171952.mps.zip
(247.27 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#275 Post by Oberlus »

What about turning conceaded players into AI? Posible?

Magnate
Space Dragon

#276 Post by Magnate »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:58 pmNo, MAgnate, you didn't do anything wrong. Mind my English. With "abuse weapons" I meant that you use many weapons and little armour on your ships. Totally legit.
Ah, thank you, yes I do. Especially when I have Eaxaw!
You're right. Maybe I wasn't that lost already. I had 100 PP (upping to 130 in 2-3 turns) and 70 RPs when conceded, but no more fleet and I thought you would have way more than 80 PPs (I thought of 150) due to you having at least two homeworlds, Egassem and Ugmors.
You mean Eaxaw - the Ugmors world didn't have the Cultural Archives, which is what gives the big boost. But yes I would have matched your production in half a dozen turns, but would have had to rush you before you upgraded your plasma cannons and planetary defences. You took out two of my ships in that last battle and still had one left, so by the time I advanced on you I would have been down to about half a dozen warships - probably enough to take only one of your multi-colony systems before you rebuilt your fleet.
Anyway, I want the new player to get into it :D
Yes good logic, sorry I've been offline this week, on holiday!
o01eg wrote:Yeah, the game considers empire eliminated when empire have no ships and no planets, so there no other way to concede.
Hmmm - in that case is there a way to implement conceding so that the game doesn't wait for their turn, but does not remove all their pops and ships? That would be a much more graceful result of conceding than sudden jarring disappearance! (Turning them into AI works well for me too - +1 to that!)

Can I plead for even more systems per player this time, like 25 or 30? It would be nice to get past robotic hulls, wouldn't it?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#277 Post by Oberlus »

I say 15-20 systems per player?

o01eg
Programmer

#278 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 pm What about turning conceaded players into AI? Posible?
AI eats RAM, and RAM isn't cheap resource on VPS. Also we somehow need to launch new AI process ingame, where no such code yet. Not to mention there some bugs sometimes appear when AI takes over human empire.

There was some concede discussion too: https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ede#p91939
Oberlus wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:44 pm I say 15-20 systems per player?
Yep, I'll increase it again. I still don't want to increase it much to have more games for testing before release.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#279 Post by JonCST »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm downloading the newest weekly build, and will try to log on soon.

J.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#280 Post by JonCST »

Hi all.
Magnate wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:49 pm
So I didn't notice the alliance between oo1eg and The Silent One until I fought both of them in a single combat and saw that they didn't attack each other. Please can we have sitrep messages to say when other players make or break peace or alliances?
Hmm. Is there a Galactic News Service which would announce such things? Or are we intending to prevent any far-future Molotov-Ribbentrop pacts?

Seems kinda like graphs being turned off, but i certainly understand to frustration of being blindsided by an alliance.

J.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#281 Post by JonCST »

Successfully downloaded and installed (Mac "El Capitan"), waiting on password e-mail.

[email protected]

JonCST
Space Kraken

#282 Post by JonCST »

Been about 10 minutes, and i can't find a e-mail in either my main nor spam mailboxes.

o01eg, could you check to see if an e-mail was generated, to which address it may have been sent, and if i'm in the system as JonCST?

If i remember correctly, user names aren't supposed to be case-sensitive, but it might not hurt?

Thanks.

J.

o01eg
Programmer

#283 Post by o01eg »

JonCST wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:15 am Been about 10 minutes, and i can't find a e-mail in either my main nor spam mailboxes.

o01eg, could you check to see if an e-mail was generated, to which address it may have been sent, and if i'm in the system as JonCST?

If i remember correctly, user names aren't supposed to be case-sensitive, but it might not hurt?

Thanks.

J.
I've added email from latest PM. You should be able to login now, but you don't get into the previous game as you don't have an empire here.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#284 Post by JonCST »

Thanks o01eg. I should be able to try to log in at around 20 UTC today.

Sorry again for the goofed e-mail.

J

JonCST
Space Kraken

#285 Post by JonCST »

JonCST wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:45 pm Thanks o01eg. I should be able to try to log in at around 20 UTC today.
I was indeed able to reach the lobby. The e-mail did end up in spam, but i'll add the sender to my address book, so that shouldn't be an issue from now on.

Looking forward to the start of the next game.

Thanks again, o01eg.