Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Magnate
Space Dragon

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#286 Post by Magnate »

Weirdly all the emails still end up in spam for me - both the password emails and the turn reminder emails - even though I have told gmail hundreds of times that they are not spam and added the sender to my contacts.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#287 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:04 pm Weirdly all the emails still end up in spam for me - both the password emails and the turn reminder emails - even though I have told gmail hundreds of times that they are not spam and added the sender to my contacts.
Gmail has some kind of problem with protonmail, maybe because it is anonymised in some way.
Whatever. I solved it by creating a filter for the sender's address to get straight into normal inbox (now Gmail always warms me those emails end up in my inbox because I told it to do so).

o01eg
Programmer

#288 Post by o01eg »

Fourth game was started! :mrgreen:

Version: 2019-07-30.587d1c0.

5 Players:
Magnate
o01eg
Oberlus
TheSilentOne
JonCST
System per player increased to 20.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Magnate
Space Dragon

#289 Post by Magnate »

Good Lord. Last three games I've had Replicon, Gysache and then Egassem. I hate Gysache but they're at least tolerable. This time I got Abbadoni, which is a cruel jest! Game on everyone.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#290 Post by JonCST »

A few overhead questions:

o Is there a way to go to the lobby, so one can read past messages? When i connect, it takes me straight to the game with a "starting turn x" as the only message.

o Is there an approved way to exit (after entering orders) to wait for the turn to process? So far i've just been killing the client. Doesn't seem polite.

o When i reconnect a few hours after killing the client, it _always_ gives the "starting turn x" message, and the upper-left button says "Turn x". When i click it, it changes to "Revise Orders x". But, when i reconnect it's back to "Turn x". Is that significant?

Thanks.

Jon

o01eg
Programmer

#291 Post by o01eg »

JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 am o Is there a way to go to the lobby, so one can read past messages? When i connect, it takes me straight to the game with a "starting turn x" as the only message.
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2456
JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 am o Is there an approved way to exit (after entering orders) to wait for the turn to process? So far i've just been killing the client. Doesn't seem polite.
Yes, there is the button "Resign" in the game menu.
JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 am o When i reconnect a few hours after killing the client, it _always_ gives the "starting turn x" message, and the upper-left button says "Turn x". When i click it, it changes to "Revise Orders x". But, when i reconnect it's back to "Turn x". Is that significant?
It's intended. It marks your readiness. If you decide to connect to the game to change something, it unsets your readiness.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-04-07.15cf063.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

JonCST
Space Kraken

#292 Post by JonCST »

o01eg, thanks for taking the time to reply.
o01eg wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:29 am
JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 am o Is there a way to go to the lobby, so one can read past messages? [...]
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2456
That would certainly address the issue.
o Is there an approved way to exit (after entering orders) to wait for the turn to process?
Yes, there is the button "Resign" in the game menu.
Really? That's not what i thought that button does at all. Dictionary definition of "resign", from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resign:
transitive verb
1 : relegate, consign especially : to give (oneself) over without resistance resigned herself to her fate
2 : to give up deliberately especially : to renounce (something, such as a right or position) by a formal act

intransitive verb
1 : to give up one's office or position : quit
2 : to accept something as inevitable : submit
When i see "resign" in association with a game, i interpret it as "permanently quit the game (without conceeding)" rather than "disconnect from server". I wonder if it needs a new label?
o When i reconnect a few hours after killing the client [button behavior]
It's intended. It marks your readiness. If you decide to connect to the game to change something, it unsets your readiness.
[/quote]

But, in a slow multiplayer game, people will probably connect to check status more often than to change their minds about their orders. At least, that's what i've been doing.

I wonder if it would make more sense to leave it as "Revise Orders" when reconnecting? It's not a huge deal.

Thanks again for helping me understand these.

J.

The Silent One
Graphics

#293 Post by The Silent One »

When i see "resign" in association with a game, i interpret it as "permanently quit the game (without conceeding)" rather than "disconnect from server". I wonder if it needs a new label?
Totally agree, have thought this many times. It should rather read "(Exit to) Main Menu" or similar.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#294 Post by Magnate »

I notice that in this game I have Sub Hab already researched even though I do not have Planetary Ecology yet. Is this something we all have in this game, or is this an Abbadoni thing? (It's not mentioned in the Pedia entry.)

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#295 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:52 pm I notice that in this game I have Sub Hab already researched even though I do not have Planetary Ecology yet. Is this something we all have in this game, or is this an Abbadoni thing? (It's not mentioned in the Pedia entry.)
That's because you are Abadoni. That gives them easier/faster expansion. They aren't that bad when you know that.
It's true Pedia entry needs love.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#296 Post by JonCST »

The Silent One wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:18 pm Totally agree,[...] It should rather read "(Exit to) Main Menu" or similar.
I wonder if it needs to choose a label based on single vs. multiplayer? For multi-player, i think "Disconnect" would be suitable. For single player, "Main Menu" makes sense to me. I guess "Main Menu" kinda works for multi-player too, although it doesn't make it as clear that you'll be disconnecting from the server.

Thoughts?

J.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#297 Post by Oberlus »

JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 pmI guess "Main Menu" kinda works for multi-player too, although it doesn't make it as clear that you'll be disconnecting from the server.
Exit?
And now that you're here... go play your turn! :twisted: I'm eager to explore tha galaxy.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#298 Post by JonCST »

Power outage. Phone only.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#299 Post by Oberlus »

JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 pmPower outage. Phone only.
Ouch! Game aside, I hope it won't last.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#300 Post by JonCST »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 pm
JonCST wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 pmPower outage. Phone only.
Ouch! Game aside, I hope it won't last.
Power's back, but no net. Hot spotted from the phone to complete turn.

Tag, you're it!

J.