Multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Multiplayer slow game server

#391 Post by o01eg »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am
Magnate wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm somehow I disconnected without the turn uploading properly.
Is some (additional?) in-game "orders received" confirmation needed then?
I suppose he logged out without pressing "Turn" button, so he wasn't marked as a ready player. May be better to add confirmation if player want to disconnect without sending orders.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

JonCST
Space Kraken

#392 Post by JonCST »

Hi all, but especially o01eg, Oberious, Magnate, and TheSilentOne:

Advance Notice

I will be out of town, and without a computer, from Saturday 14 Sep to Wednesday 18 Sep. During that period, i will not be able to enter any orders.

I'll try to get them in Saturday morning, and again on Wednesday night, but can't promise more than Friday night and Thursday morning.

Apologies for the (at least) 4-day delay.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Jon

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#393 Post by Oberlus »

This last turn Magnate was the last player but his orders aren't issued for new turn, maybe he isn't aware.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#394 Post by Oberlus »

So maybe same problem happened to Magnate (he sent orders but server didn't receive them before he disconnected), so he will not receive any notification for the rest of the turn (3+ days). I think an email to tell him is in order.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#395 Post by Magnate »

No no, I got this. This morning something very significant happened, and I needed to talk to my ally before submitting my next turn. I'm on it.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#396 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:32 pm No no, I got this. This morning something very significant happened, and I needed to talk to my ally before submitting my next turn. I'm on it.
Oh, cool... Cool cool cool. Now I'm scared.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#397 Post by JonCST »

So why is the o01eg defeated? They seem to still have planets with populations on them?

Confused.

The Silent One
Graphics

#398 Post by The Silent One »

JonCST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 pmSo why is the o01eg defeated? They seem to still have planets with populations on them?
It's old sensor data. He resigned to not let his colonies fall to the enemy.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#399 Post by Oberlus »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:55 am
JonCST wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:35 pmSo why is the o01eg defeated? They seem to still have planets with populations on them?
It's old sensor data. He resigned to not let his colonies fall to the enemy.
And that (the absence of colonies to conquer in the old o01eg's space) is why the whole doomstack of Magnate is coming to my area. In peace, I guess.

The Silent One
Graphics

#400 Post by The Silent One »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 amIn peace, I guess.
Most definitely.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

JonCST
Space Kraken

#401 Post by JonCST »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:55 am It's old sensor data. He resigned to not let his colonies fall to the enemy.
Hmm. So, i was getting that intel because we were allies. I assume he conceded (rather than "resigned", since that word apparently doesn't mean what i think it does). Since we are no longer allies, i didn't get the intel that he no longer owns the planets?

And, presumably, the inhabited planets are now "natives", waiting to be conquered? Not building this, but regenerating shields, troops etc? What technology level would they fight at? Whatever o01eg had when they conceded?

Or does an AI take them over?

Clearly, there's a lot i don't know about this. Is there documentation covering this somewhere that i can read?

Thanks.

Jon

The Silent One
Graphics

#402 Post by The Silent One »

JonCST wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pmHmm. So, i was getting that intel because we [you and o01eg] were allies. I assume he conceded (rather than "resigned", since that word apparently doesn't mean what i think it does). Since we are no longer allies, i didn't get the intel that he no longer owns the planets?
Correct.
JonCST wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pmAnd, presumably, the inhabited planets are now "natives", waiting to be conquered? Not building this, but regenerating shields, troops etc? What technology level would they fight at? Whatever o01eg had when they conceded?
No, all population and outposts are gone. Just buildings remain.
JonCST wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pmClearly, there's a lot i don't know about this. Is there documentation covering this somewhere that i can read?
The "Concede" option has been implemented only recently; but I have to say I find the current "burned earth" approach unsatisfying. How conceding works should be discussed in more detail.

Magnate
Space Dragon

#403 Post by Magnate »

Oberlus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:45 amAnd that (the absence of colonies to conquer in the old o01eg's space) is why the whole doomstack of Magnate is coming to my area. In peace, I guess.
Wait, you can see it?

;-)

So yes (to Jon) - the consequences of resigning (or conceding, whatever - let's just call it quitting) are the subject of ongoing discussion. I think the current behaviour (pops vanish, buildings stay) has been implemented as a compromise: it's not too advantageous to a conquering player (compared with the big advantage pops would be), but still worth recolonising the space (for the free buildings and planets). Like TSO I find it uncomfortable, a real immersion-breaker that my enemy has suddenly committed mass suicide instantly. But I get that we don't want MP games severely unbalanced by early exits (though I do think that the current implementation encourages people to quit earlier than they might otherwise!). So I have a couple of ideas:

1. When a player quits, his/her colonies start to evacuate (to nowhere, i.e. slow pop decline). This puts a time limit on taking the planets before the pops disappear, which could be a difficult strategic choice for the conqueror.

2. When a player quits, his/her empire is run by a very specific "defeated" AI, which focuses solely on defence - all colonies have defence focus, all research is in blue defence techs, and all industry is spent on immobile defence platforms (which don't exist yet but hey). This will make conquering the defeated worlds more challenging than a regular AI that is trying to play fully, has a bit of immersive continuity, and the reward of the full pops. Maybe not too unbalancing for other players?

To O01eg - I have a horrible suspicion that you were the first to quit/be conquered in the last game too - please don't take it personally! Well played! (And like Oberlus last time, I think you probably could have beaten me if we had slugged it out!)

alleryn
Space Dragon

#404 Post by alleryn »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:09 pm Just buildings remain.
Hmm, not very scorched earth. I will definitely be scrapping all my buildings before i concede. Fear me!! xD
The "Concede" option has been implemented only recently; but I have to say I find the current "burned earth" approach unsatisfying. How conceding works should be discussed in more detail.
Seems sensible.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#405 Post by Oberlus »

Magnate wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:12 pmWait, you can see it?
We can seeeeee youuuuuu.
And you are making Us nervous! You don't want to get into a nest of disturbed snakes! :evil:
Just saying :roll:
Magnate wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:12 pm[o01eg] Well played! (And like Oberlus last time, I think you probably could have beaten me if we had slugged it out!)
This time we'll have time to see it :twisted: