Rapport - The Most Of All

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Rapport - The Most Of All

#16 Post by defaultuser »

Not to be a downer, but a subreddit with 29 members isn't going to make much difference. If you want to do something with Reddit, you need to start where you'll get some attention.

On https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/ there's a "weekly play thread":
What are you playing Wednesday!
What game's got your attention this week? What's great about it? What sucks? Tell us all about it!
This thread is posted weekly on Wednesdays (adjustments made as needed).
That's the kind of place to promote the game. Not worrying about the graphics on a near-dead sub. Post a message every week about FO, what you like about it, and link the main page and subreddit.

Edit: Perhaps better would be https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/. Or both.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#17 Post by Ophiuchus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:19 pm For linux distributions we probably will not get that information.

For the snaps we actually get info about the number of installations on active computers (which version; which linux distribution; which country; and timeline).

I am not sure what info is public https://snapcraft.io/freeorion/metrics or only available if you are registered.
Also right now that service has some problems (nw probs and the search API service is down https://status.snapcraft.io/), so better try clicking later on ;)
I think the metrics page is not public.
So I will give some numbers here. I have a steady rise for stable 0.4.8 (from 133 to 235 in the last six months) and beta weeklies from 3 to 9.

There are installs in about 50 different Linux systems with three Ubuntu versions in the lead.

Counted are weekly active systems which have the snap installed.

There is a suspicious high number for the US (45) and then as expected Germany, Russia, France...

So any US ppl around here in the community too? Or are those bots?

Edit: was confused, thought snapd runs also on Mac, but only the build tool snapcraft actually does
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

swaq
Space Dragon

#18 Post by swaq »

I am in the US running FreeOrion on Arch Linux.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#19 Post by AndrewW »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:06 am So any US ppl around here in the community too? Or are those bots?
In the US and running on Linux, but not using the snap or weekly builds. Just compile myself.

Subham
Space Floater

#20 Post by Subham »

defaultuser wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:40 pmNot to be a downer.....
totally right buddy...
I will try to post now and then on both the subs. Especially the thread you told about

Subham
Space Floater

#21 Post by Subham »

So.. the subreddit will be kept updated, and other general gaming subreddits will be informed too...
Had a question about sharing concept arts and finalised ones to the FreeOrion subreddits:
1.Should we show them off and risk them getting used?
2.Show off a watermarked and/or slightly lower quality version for each image? And/or add a copyright warning?
3.Not do it at all?

The Silent One
Graphics

#22 Post by The Silent One »

Subham wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 pm So.. the subreddit will be kept updated, and other general gaming subreddits will be informed too...
Had a question about sharing concept arts and finalised ones to the FreeOrion subreddits:
1.Should we show them off and risk them getting used?
2.Show off a watermarked and/or slightly lower quality version for each image? And/or add a copyright warning?
3.Not do it at all?
The license they're published under allows them to be freely reused, as long as the author/source is credited, see below my post.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#23 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Art and other "creative" content is released under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, so its re-use is allowed or even encouraged (under those terms).