macos, freeOrion 049

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

rastafarra
Space Krill

macos, freeOrion 049

#1 Post by rastafarra »

first run on macos: https://ibb.co/tMtFxXm

ok, i change video settings and click "exit" for restart.

second run: https://ibb.co/5sZy3gL

how i can fix it?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: macos, freeOrion 049

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

No idea on MacOS -
vezzra wrote:..
vezzra?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

@rastafarra, what version of macOS are you on? What are your systems specs (what kind of Mac do you have)? Which version of FreeOrion are you trying to run?

The problem in the second screenshot is that obviously the FO server process from your first run somehow remained, which interferes with the second run. To solve this you have two options: either go into the Activity Monitor and kill all "freeorion*" processes, or just restart your system.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 amWhich version of FreeOrion are you trying to run?
From the screenshot, it is "v0.4.9 [build 2020-02-02.db53471] CMake".

rastafarra
Space Krill

#5 Post by rastafarra »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 am @rastafarra, what version of macOS are you on? What are your systems specs (what kind of Mac do you have)? Which version of FreeOrion are you trying to run?
Catalina 10.15.3 (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Vezzra wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 am The problem in the second screenshot is that obviously the FO server process from your first run somehow remained, which interferes with the second run. To solve this you have two options: either go into the Activity Monitor and kill all "freeorion*" processes, or just restart your system.
windows-way ))

rastafarra
Space Krill

#6 Post by rastafarra »

ok, i kill process, but game not scale: https://ibb.co/L0trJTY

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, that's strange indeed. As far as I can tell from the screenshot, you'r running FO in windowed mode. What happens if you switch to fullscreen?

Can you post your video settings (first tab in the options dialog, you can provide a screenshot of that if you want)?

rastafarra
Space Krill

#8 Post by rastafarra »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:43 am Ok, that's strange indeed. As far as I can tell from the screenshot, you'r running FO in windowed mode. What happens if you switch to fullscreen?

Can you post your video settings (first tab in the options dialog, you can provide a screenshot of that if you want)?
first of all, imho the game not save settings, because i set 2880x1800 for fullscreen, click "apply" and after restart it's reset to default.

in fullscreen mode, if i set 2880x1800, the game in half screen, in this mode i don't now how to get screenshot and orion don't let me switch to other programs. like that: https://ibb.co/G2VGwm3

and i can't set "windowed video mode" more than 1441x901 (tab button don't work too for switch widgets), it's automatically droped from 2880 down to 1441 (it's seem like max value is 1441).

rastafarra
Space Krill

#9 Post by rastafarra »

any suggestions?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

rastafarra wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:09 pmany suggestions?
Not a helpful one, but: be patient, Vezzra has not been able to connect for a week.

Also, does 0.4.8 work fine for you on that laptop? Or some other version in between 0.4.8 and 0.4.9?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Hm, that sounds like FO has problems displaying correctly on such high resolutions on macOS.

@rastafarra, there are two options on the "Video" tab in the options dialog: "Fullscreen" and "Fake resolution change". Can you try to experiment with those and see if you find a combination of settings that works?

The problem is, it's very difficult, if not impossible for us to troubleshoot that problem. While I'm on a Mac, I'm not much of a developer, my main responsibility is that of the release manager. I simply don't have the know-how (and the time) to figure out what the underlying problem is (I suspect the SDL2 library we use as cross-platform graphics library to be somehow responsible). Aside from that, I don't have a display that can handle such high resolutions, so I can't reproduce the issue.

And we do not have any other dev on Mac, AFAIK.

Can you launch FO in windowed mode and see if the game works if you use a lower resolution?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

@rastafarra, also, can you try what Oberlus suggested? Are there earlier versions of FO that do not have this problem?

o01eg
Programmer

#13 Post by o01eg »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:22 pm The problem is, it's very difficult, if not impossible for us to troubleshoot that problem. While I'm on a Mac, I'm not much of a developer, my main responsibility is that of the release manager. I simply don't have the know-how (and the time) to figure out what the underlying problem is (I suspect the SDL2 library we use as cross-platform graphics library to be somehow responsible). Aside from that, I don't have a display that can handle such high resolutions, so I can't reproduce the issue.
Maybe we should update SDL2 version in the SDK?

Edit: I've opened PR: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion-sdk/pull/56
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

adrian_broher
Programmer

#14 Post by adrian_broher »

> Maybe we should update SDL2 version in the SDK?

Because bumping version numbers magically fix problems. :roll:

FO doesn't have high resolution display support implemented. And this is not easily fixed:
  • The SDL window hint `SDL_WINDOW_ALLOW_HIGHDPI` must be enabled (should be by default for SDL > 2.0.1).
  • SDL documentation states that the `NSHighResolutionCapable` plist property must be set (wherever that exactly needs to happen…).
  • FreeOrion must learn that Window and Framebuffer coordinates/resolutions may be two different concepts.
  • The pointer input must be translated between Window and Framebuffer coordinates.
@Vezzra do you even have a Macbook with Retina display?
Last edited by adrian_broher on Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#15 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:18 pm@Vezzra do you even have a Macbook with Retina display?
I do, but I can only offer to do the required testing. Someone would have to implement the changes you listed.

Updating to a more recent version of SDL could be done regardless though (unless that would cause issues).