0.4.8 roadmap

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Message
Author
User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#76 Post by Vezzra » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm

As the fixes that have gone in for the pop effects priorities stuff apparently will need some playtesting to figure out how game balance has been affected and probably going to need further adjustments to fix resulting balance problems, as well as having two mandatory and two optional PRs (that would still be nice to have in 0.4.8 though) pending, making RC2 tomorrow (Monday) is most likely not a reasonable option.

So, tomorrow builds will again be pre-RC2 test builds, and RC2 cannot happen before Friday (won't have time until then). Some feedback here about a reasonable estimate of when RC2 could be ready would be welcome. For the time being the deadline for RC2 is still "to be determined". I'm having a hard time trying to guess how long it might take to get the remaining stuff done...

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#77 Post by Vezzra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:04 pm

It took us a month, but finally it looks like we've addressed all the issues that popped up with RC1. The last release blocking bugs have been fixed, and only two more fixes are left that have been proposed for cherry picking into the release branch: PR#2200 and PR#2202. Both seem to be ready (or almost ready) to go in, so I decided to set a deadline for RC2: Friday, 13th, 1pm UTC (and no, we won't have any silly jokes about that date, thank you very much). The deadline for declaring the release has been set to Sunday, July 22nd, 1pm UTC.

To the people working on these PRs: please try to get them finished until Thursday. If that's not possible, but you want them in 0.4.8, give me an estimate on how long it will take you to finish them, so I can adjust the deadlines accordingly.

The release management issue has been updated.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#78 Post by Vezzra » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 pm

I've put up a PR with some final updates to the changelog: PR#2212. Whoever can spare the time, please review.

PR#2200 has been merged and cherry picked, which only leaves PR#2202 still open of those which have been suggested for inclusion into 0.4.8. As this fixes a merely cosmetic bug, I don't intend to delay RC2 if it doesn't go in and get cherry picked in time. But of course it would be nice to have it in the release, so if you could finish this, you still got some hours left. When you merge the PR, it would be good if you could do the cherry picking also, in case conflicts occur (which I'm ill fitted to resolve).

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#79 Post by Dilvish » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:37 am

Vezzra wrote:PR#2200 ... would be nice to have it in the release....
Done
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#80 Post by Vezzra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am

Excellent, thanks!

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#81 Post by Vezzra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Ok, we finally did it. RC2 is out. Happy playtesting!

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#82 Post by Dilvish » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:10 pm

In PR 2193 Fix compatibility with boost 1.67.0
adrian_broher wrote:should go in as-is. Also this should be cherry-picked to 0.4.8.
This does look worth at least considering taking some extra days (or a week or two if needed) for an RC3 so that 0.4.8 could be compatible with boost 1.67, since some Linux distros do appear to be running with 1.67 now (most notably Arch, and it looks semi-supported by Ubuntu 18.10), and many others will surely have moved to it before we come out with FO 0.4.9 (and perhaps even before we put out a 0.4.8.1)

If we did that, then PR 2214 appears to represent a cleanup of an old workaround; while the PR appears not truly necessary at this time, it might still be prudent/worthwhile to include.

And then we should probably at least consider the issue raised about the still-under-development boost 1.68-- hopefully this will soon get its own Issue and PR, but right now it is raised as a comment in an otherwise closed Issue. It's not 100% clear to me that jbeich has a full fix for this yet, and of course since boost 1.68 is still underdevelopment additional problems could still arise in the future, but if his fix were sufficient to make FO 0.4.8 fully compatible with the current state of boost 1.68, and he promptly submitted a PR for that, then I think we should strongly consider cherry picking it as well.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#83 Post by Vezzra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 am

PR#2193 and PR#2214 have been merged and cherry picked to the release branch. RC3 has been scheduled for Thursday, July 19th, 1pm UTC. Please get everything that should go in ready until then (or better until tomorrow, Wednesday, if possible, so there is enough time for cherry picking). Currently that's only PR#2217, which should be doable, I hope.

If you need more time, please post a request here.

Declaring the release has been rescheduled for Monday, July 23rd, 1pm UTC. That's only one day more than the last deadline (July 22nd), but I figured that the fixes that went in since RC2 (which only fixed issues with very recent/still in development boost versions and are very simple) won't require that much more playtesting. The only thing that might require a bit of additional playtesting is PR#2217, and for that the extra day should be sufficient.

If anyone thinks that we should give RC3 a bit more time, feel free to voice your opinion here. I won't object against delaying declaring the release, just be aware that if we decide to do this, we'll have to delay at least until Sunday, July 29th. I can't promise to have enough time for FO before then to do all the declaring release stuff.

The release management issue has been updated accordingly.

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4687
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#84 Post by Dilvish » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

I've also just posted #2220, which I think is a simple and safe fix, of a relatively rare issue but still worth getting into RC3 I think.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#85 Post by Vezzra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Dilvish wrote:I've also just posted #2220, which I think is a simple and safe fix, of a relatively rare issue but still worth getting into RC3 I think.
Ok with me. Just make sure you get #2220 and #2217 in or let me know if I shall postpone RC3 in time.

However, if we postpone RC3, I'd have to delay declaring the release at least until July 29th.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#86 Post by Vezzra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

As #2217, #2220 and now also #2221, all of which have been proposed for inclusion into 0.4.8, are still pending, I've decided to postpone RC3. #2221 especially might need more time (see the discussion in the comment section).

The question now is, until when shall we delay RC3? I can offer these dates, on which I most likely will have time for making a new release candidate: July 22nd, July 27th, July 29th (as I have suggested in the comment section of #2221). Unless it's really necessary, I don't want to delay RC3 beyond July 29th.

So, what shall it be?

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12249
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#87 Post by Geoff the Medio » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Vezzra wrote:So, what shall it be?
At this point, I think as soon as the required stuff is ready, the next available date is fine... Not sure how far ahead you want to fix a date, though...

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#88 Post by Vezzra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:Not sure how far ahead you want to fix a date, though...
Usually two to three days minimum, so people have a chance to react/object.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#89 Post by Vezzra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 pm

After the issues with the forum have been solved, we can finally get back on track with the release. Currently there is one release-blocking issue, #2244. While quite serious, it's not game-breaking, and I don't want to delay the release too much for this. Any ideas/estimates if that can be solved anytime soon?

Ideally, if this can be fixed until the weekend, I could try to make RC3 on Sunday...

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#90 Post by Vezzra » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Geoff has provided a quick (release branch only) fix for the last release blocking issue, which means we can finally proceed with RC3. However, I won't have time to produce the RC3 builds before Thursday, so we've got a few few days where fixes can go in if any more serious issues turn up.

New deadline for RC3: Thursday, August 23rd 2018, 1pm UTC.

New deadline for declaring the release: Thursday, August 30th 2018, 1pm UTC.

Release management issue has been updated accordingly.

Post Reply