0.4.8 roadmap

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Message
Author
User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#76 Post by Vezzra » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Ok, we finally did it. RC2 is out. Happy playtesting!

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4712
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#77 Post by Dilvish » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:10 pm

In PR 2193 Fix compatibility with boost 1.67.0
adrian_broher wrote:should go in as-is. Also this should be cherry-picked to 0.4.8.
This does look worth at least considering taking some extra days (or a week or two if needed) for an RC3 so that 0.4.8 could be compatible with boost 1.67, since some Linux distros do appear to be running with 1.67 now (most notably Arch, and it looks semi-supported by Ubuntu 18.10), and many others will surely have moved to it before we come out with FO 0.4.9 (and perhaps even before we put out a 0.4.8.1)

If we did that, then PR 2214 appears to represent a cleanup of an old workaround; while the PR appears not truly necessary at this time, it might still be prudent/worthwhile to include.

And then we should probably at least consider the issue raised about the still-under-development boost 1.68-- hopefully this will soon get its own Issue and PR, but right now it is raised as a comment in an otherwise closed Issue. It's not 100% clear to me that jbeich has a full fix for this yet, and of course since boost 1.68 is still underdevelopment additional problems could still arise in the future, but if his fix were sufficient to make FO 0.4.8 fully compatible with the current state of boost 1.68, and he promptly submitted a PR for that, then I think we should strongly consider cherry picking it as well.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#78 Post by Vezzra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:05 am

PR#2193 and PR#2214 have been merged and cherry picked to the release branch. RC3 has been scheduled for Thursday, July 19th, 1pm UTC. Please get everything that should go in ready until then (or better until tomorrow, Wednesday, if possible, so there is enough time for cherry picking). Currently that's only PR#2217, which should be doable, I hope.

If you need more time, please post a request here.

Declaring the release has been rescheduled for Monday, July 23rd, 1pm UTC. That's only one day more than the last deadline (July 22nd), but I figured that the fixes that went in since RC2 (which only fixed issues with very recent/still in development boost versions and are very simple) won't require that much more playtesting. The only thing that might require a bit of additional playtesting is PR#2217, and for that the extra day should be sufficient.

If anyone thinks that we should give RC3 a bit more time, feel free to voice your opinion here. I won't object against delaying declaring the release, just be aware that if we decide to do this, we'll have to delay at least until Sunday, July 29th. I can't promise to have enough time for FO before then to do all the declaring release stuff.

The release management issue has been updated accordingly.

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4712
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#79 Post by Dilvish » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm

I've also just posted #2220, which I think is a simple and safe fix, of a relatively rare issue but still worth getting into RC3 I think.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#80 Post by Vezzra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Dilvish wrote:I've also just posted #2220, which I think is a simple and safe fix, of a relatively rare issue but still worth getting into RC3 I think.
Ok with me. Just make sure you get #2220 and #2217 in or let me know if I shall postpone RC3 in time.

However, if we postpone RC3, I'd have to delay declaring the release at least until July 29th.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#81 Post by Vezzra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:58 am

As #2217, #2220 and now also #2221, all of which have been proposed for inclusion into 0.4.8, are still pending, I've decided to postpone RC3. #2221 especially might need more time (see the discussion in the comment section).

The question now is, until when shall we delay RC3? I can offer these dates, on which I most likely will have time for making a new release candidate: July 22nd, July 27th, July 29th (as I have suggested in the comment section of #2221). Unless it's really necessary, I don't want to delay RC3 beyond July 29th.

So, what shall it be?

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12268
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#82 Post by Geoff the Medio » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Vezzra wrote:So, what shall it be?
At this point, I think as soon as the required stuff is ready, the next available date is fine... Not sure how far ahead you want to fix a date, though...

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#83 Post by Vezzra » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:Not sure how far ahead you want to fix a date, though...
Usually two to three days minimum, so people have a chance to react/object.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#84 Post by Vezzra » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 pm

After the issues with the forum have been solved, we can finally get back on track with the release. Currently there is one release-blocking issue, #2244. While quite serious, it's not game-breaking, and I don't want to delay the release too much for this. Any ideas/estimates if that can be solved anytime soon?

Ideally, if this can be fixed until the weekend, I could try to make RC3 on Sunday...

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#85 Post by Vezzra » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Geoff has provided a quick (release branch only) fix for the last release blocking issue, which means we can finally proceed with RC3. However, I won't have time to produce the RC3 builds before Thursday, so we've got a few few days where fixes can go in if any more serious issues turn up.

New deadline for RC3: Thursday, August 23rd 2018, 1pm UTC.

New deadline for declaring the release: Thursday, August 30th 2018, 1pm UTC.

Release management issue has been updated accordingly.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#86 Post by Vezzra » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:59 pm

RC3 has been released.

o01eg
Space Kraken
Posts: 169
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#87 Post by o01eg » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:23 pm

What about mention my public server in release announce?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-7.3, boost-1.65.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.3, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to multiplayer server at freeorion-test.dedyn.io.Version 0.4.8
Donates are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#88 Post by Vezzra » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:28 pm

0.4.8 has been released.

Finally :mrgreen:

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4666
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#89 Post by Vezzra » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 pm

o01eg wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:23 pm
What about mention my public server in release announce?
Release announcements usually only deal with the release itself, not with external/third party stuff/services which are introduced alongside a release. Insofar I don't think the release announcement post is the right place to mention public servers.

My suggestion would be to make a separate announcement for your public multiplayer server, on the Announcements subforum and in the wiki main page news section.

Geoff?

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12268
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: 0.4.8 roadmap

#90 Post by Geoff the Medio » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Vezzra wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:35 pm
My suggestion would be to make a separate announcement for your public multiplayer server, on the Announcements subforum and in the wiki main page news section.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Post Reply