0.4.7.1 - Connection to server was lost

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.
Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Chklang
Space Krill
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am

0.4.7.1 - Connection to server was lost

#1 Post by Chklang » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 am

Hi

I've success to play on a game with difficulty maximum, i'm on turn 640. My game has been auto-ended with the message "connection to server was lost" (in french version, it's my translation),; and this mesage appear 10 secs after the reload game. You can found logs/saved game here : (7Mo so too big for this forum) : https://host.freesharing.fr/jirafeau/f. ... hYbth_&d=1 . Link valid until 2018-07-18 13:10 (GMT +02:00).

What can i do?

Regards.

ps : Beautifull game!!
ps2 : Sorry for my english.

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.7.1 - Connection to server was lost

#2 Post by Dilvish » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Had you tried interacting with the Sitrep panel in that game session? Did you click anything else? In the logs I see that the Server sent out the turn update, then empires 2,3,6, and 7 all submitted their orders in about the first second (presumably they were eliminated AIs with therefor no orders), then a few seconds later the Server received a request for combat logs update from the human player client, to which it provided 4539 logs, and then 26 seconds later the Server begins a smooth shutdown of the game (although it is not clear to me why), and it successfully shuts down the AIs and apparently is in the very very last stages of shutting itself down when it encounters a memory error:

Code: Select all

2018-04-25 12:49:30.634243 [debug] Server : ServerApp.cpp:160 : Server exited cleanly.
2018-04-25 12:49:30.881154 [error] Server : dmain.cpp:108 : main() caught exception(std::exception): bad allocation
So, to be sure of things, perhaps try loading the game again, and just let it wait a minute or so (if it doesn't crash sooner) before you try interacting with it to be sure it has completed its turn update process, and then make a note of any interactions you do, and repost the logs for that session.

I tried loading up that savegame, but can't at all right now on my Linux machine, because it is a Windows platform binary save (the xml save format is platform independent, but the binary ones are incompatible between Windows and Linux).

I might be able to try loading this on a Windows machine sometime in the next few days, but to enable broader checking here it would help if you could swap your save options to be xml format, then load up a savegame from a turn before (you can load either format regardless of the save setting), and then resave this file in the xml format (and repost).

Also, could you tell us a bit more about the machine you are playing on, such as total memory, graphics card, and cpu type?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer
Posts: 4686
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: 0.4.7.1 - Connection to server was lost

#3 Post by Dilvish » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:05 pm

I also note that the human client log contains some odd errors about Fleets having inconsistent/invalid travel-related attribute values. Perhaps destroying starlanes could have led to that, but I'm not sure. It's also possibly just a memory corruption issue. Although 0.4.7.1 was pretty clean memory-wise, there has been at least one more memory error caught and fixed since then (well, I guess what I am thinking of is more precisely an ID allocator problem but I think it could perhaps have led to object corruption). And 640 turns into a game is really a very long game. I'm willing to put a bit more work into seeing if we can replicate your problem, but mostly I'll recommend that you just upgrade to the current test version.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Chklang
Space Krill
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am

Re: 0.4.7.1 - Connection to server was lost

#4 Post by Chklang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:05 am

Thanks for your analyze. This crash arrive 30secs after reload the game, without any click. I'll try this evenning to install the test version.

Yes, 640 is very long, but i like this game ^^. And i enable binaries logs because after turn 300, savegame is very long, even on a recent computer.

Chklang
Space Krill
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:53 am

Re: 0.4.7.1 - Connection to server was lost

#5 Post by Chklang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 am

Ho wait... This morning i've retried and i've succed to pass the turn 640... Since yesterday i've close many applications. Maybe there is a problem in memory allocations when the computer is overloaded (i was eclipse launched for example :p)

Post Reply