Make self-sustaining = radiovore

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderator: Committer

Oberlus
Vacuum Dragon

Make self-sustaining = radiovore

#1 Post by Oberlus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:00 am

Self-sustaining is a bit broken (OP).

Should it apply only to good env. planets, then it wouldn't be that much of an advantage.
Trith and Acirema prefer radiated, Kobuntura barren.
So maybe this is obvious:
Consider "self-sustaining" as radiovore (or the proper word for eating radioactivity), let the bonus (+3*HabSize) apply only on radioactive planets as well as in planets with a certain special that can appear on barren and inferno planets (maybe only on barren), and place that special on the kobuntura HWs.
Thus, colonising hostile env. planets will requiere actual effort from Trith.

Jaumito
Space Kraken
Location: Catalonia, France, Europe, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster

Re: Make self-sustaining = radiovore

#2 Post by Jaumito » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:05 am

Self-sustaining metabolism doesn't have to be linked to a specific environment just because the few species that have it - at the moment - happen to prefer to live in that environment. Deriving ad-hoc fixes from mere coincidences is akin to opening cans of worms (imho.)

How are species like the Kobunturra supposed to get metabolism growth bonuses outside of their HW, besides planets with the radiovore special?

Why couldn't I design a self-sustaining species that prefer, say, desert worlds? (By the way, that's exactly what the Nymmmm are.)

Oberlus
Vacuum Dragon

Re: Make self-sustaining = radiovore

#3 Post by Oberlus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:12 pm

You're right.

And I forgot about the Nymmmmm.

My reasoning was that, the same we have now an species/metabolism which is bounded to a certain type of planet/environment (Sly and Gas Giants), we could change the self-sustaining metabolism to be bounded to one of the regular environments (and thus make its gameplay even more differentiated from the other metabolisms) and at the same time address the balance issue.

But I missed the point that doing this self-containment loses a lot of versatility for species design. It would be good to have a metabolism that is different than the three regular and that is applicable to many environments (to have more varieity of species), and that metabolism is self-sustaining.

There is for sure something better than my suggestion to make self-sustaining metabolism better balanced while keeping its generality and its differentiation from the three regular metabolisms.