Big images of species

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.
Bestary
Space Squid

Re: Big images of species

#61 Post by Bestary » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:13 am

Ophiuchus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:08 am
Love the Sly :)
Can you make them a bit translucent and shiny?
Ok, it will be good! ^^
Oberlus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:48 pm
Bestary wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:41 am
Hmm... Good association, at the first look. But... No, not good. We don't know is there birds exist at the Derthrean homeworld, and bird claws will looks too predatory, not peaceful. :)
:lol: Good catch.
Well, in my defense I must say I was thinking of pigeons, not hawks, and alienesque, not earthling birds :P
Nice try!! :D Also, origami cranes is a symbol of peace in Japan (I didn't know it (or not remembered), just found moment ago searching wikipedia).
Pfyaking lynx :3

Bestary
Space Squid

#62 Post by Bestary » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 am

Chato'matou. Cool specie, cool story. ^^ Gormoshk really have that eyes and mounth (it's from original description).

I don't know, was it discuss or not, but... Gormoshk sounds amusing for russian ear. Cause we have garmoshka. :D I was interested why creator used that name... Was it just random or mean something...
Attachments
chato.png
chato.png (220.51 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Pfyaking lynx :3

The Silent One
Graphics

#63 Post by The Silent One » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am

Bestary wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 am
I was interested why creator used that name... Was it just random or mean something...
I don't know/remember... great new images, though!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#64 Post by Geoff the Medio » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 am

Ouaz wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:09 pm
- Insert the "preview" image right at the beginning of the article.
That's easy enough with stringtable changes.
- Insert the full image at the end of the article.
That requires some C++ changes, to move the detailed description after (almost) everything else, and then adding the full image to the detailed description stringtable entry.
- Put the "Homeworld" data right after the "Environment preferences" (currently, at the very end of the article, don't know why...)
Also requires some C++ changes. It wasn't actually at the end of the article unless there were no empire or other species opinions of the species.
- 500x500px is way to big, at least until we have a better layout engine for images in FO.
[...]
- Image size: 350x115 px (3:1 ratio).
There's no need to reduce the size of art for use in the pedia, as it will auto-rescale images that are too wide to fit. I think it's actually better to keep the full width / size images, so that if someone has the pedia window bigger, they can see more detail in the art, rather than a small box centred in the text area with lots of empty black space around it.

I've made a demo pull request with just Chato full size art and cropped banner images: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/2378