Stop fighter replenishment (and weapon upgrades?) during combat

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Dilvish
AI Lead, Programmer

Stop fighter replenishment (and weapon upgrades?) during combat

#1 Post by Dilvish » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm

Current Ship::Resupply(), which handles refueling, the final stage of weapon part upgrades, and fighter replenishment, has no gates regarding combat. In a thread on Fighter revisions,
MatGB wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm
Fighters shouldn't replenish on the turn you're in combat without a special feature or tech, as it is if you're in supply you get fighters back and your opponent doesn't.
I didn't see any opposition to that idea, and I'd like to move forward on it now, but figured I'd prompt some final bit of discussion before I put up a PR.

The only straightforward way to handle it that I see right now would be to add a last-turn-combat gate to the portion of Ship::Resupply() that handles updating current meter to max meter for capacity and secondary stat part meters. Weapon damage, Fighter count and bay launch rate are capacity type meters, weapon rate of fire (think flak) and fighter damage are secondary stat meters, it looks to me.

Although I do kind of enjoy being able to have my weapon damage upgrade while I am fighting Maintenance Ships, I'd be fine with all of those upgrades being gated by combat. What do you guys think?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Stop fighter replenishment (and weapon upgrades?) during combat

#2 Post by Oberlus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:31 pm

I totally support this.
The last fleet repair tech could give you that fighter replenishment during combat.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:18 pm

+1

i am not completely sure about how fuel and fighter resupply should work, but
+1 definitly for the weapon upgrades (which probably would be gated in FOCS)

for fighters the proposal is definitly better than the status que:
  • either you own the system (so you are in supply)
  • you have a supplied system in <=0.5 distance (so you do the single hop hack micromanagement)

if we wanted the fighters to have a supply supremancy based advantage we should at least remove the necessity for the manual micromanagement (scripting auto-resupply for closeby supplied systems)

having different resupply for fighters and fuel feels arbitrary though.. so also no refueling?

also the full replenishment feels strange .. so maybe in the longer run it could become more like repairing ships?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Dilvish wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm
I'd be fine with all of those upgrades being gated by combat. What do you guys think?
Seconded. As meter growth is done in FOCS now, maybe that can be implemented in a way that you can script the actual behaviour in FOCS? Isn't setting the current meter (for fighters) to max once you'r in supply done in FOCS anyway already?