How to help on the Influence&Government development for non coders?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.
Oberlus
Juggernaut

How to help on the Influence&Government development for non coders?

#1 Post by Oberlus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm

I acknowledge that many of the suggestions lately have to do with the future Influence and Government features that Geoff (and others) are working on.

I wonder if there is a way for non C++ coders (like me) to help in the development of such features, design-wise.

Ophiuchus
Vacuum Dragon

Re: How to help on the Influence&Government development for non coders?

#2 Post by Ophiuchus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Maybe it helps to have a look at the current state of implementation, just uploaded a linux build as an easily installable snap to snapcraft.io

Up-to-date Government Snap.

I forgot - what system do you use?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm

-Art / icons for the existing policies
-Layout suggestions for the Government window

Oberlus
Juggernaut

#4 Post by Oberlus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:35 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
-Art / icons for the existing policies
Is there a way to "list" current policies by searching the source code, to get an approximate idea of what each one is suppose to do? I'm planning to make a post here with them, as a first draft of documentation (if that is not implemented yet) but mostly to invoke Bestary's skills.

I first tried pulling the Government branch (and in the way I've messed up things bad in my local, it seems I first merged it with my master with errors, then I've done a git reset --hard & git checkout --track upstream/Government, which seems to work) and searching for "policy" (grep -rn . -e 'policy'), but that has gave me a ton of results.
So I wonder if there is a certain file/subfolder that I should search in, or a better keyword.

Edit: searching for 'policy PLC' gave me just one result, in default/stringtables/en.txt

Ophiuchus
Vacuum Dragon

#5 Post by Ophiuchus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 pm

• the policies are in default/scripting/policies
  • in default/ search for POLICY_SLOTS
  • in default/scripting search for _CATEGORY (but you will get lots of extra; maybe we should rename to _PLC_CATEGORY or such)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Oberlus
Juggernaut

#6 Post by Oberlus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:04 am

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 pm
-Layout suggestions for the Government window
Maybe I should wait for more content to be added. Anyway, I'm testing current implementation (which has 9 possible policies), and assuming that late game there will be around or less than 10 possible policy slots and less than 30 possible policies, my impression is that Government window doesn't need to have all the screen dedicated to it (akin the Ships Design and Research windows) but would be enough with the current two panels (Policies and Government Policies) floating over the galaxy map (akin the Production panels). And in such case, I would place them by default on the left part of the screen (where Production and Fleet Management panels are by default), wide enough to show 4 or 6 policy slots/parts and giving more space for the policy "parts" panel than for the government policies panel. Something like this:
policies_layout.jpg
policies_layout.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 64 times
Also, just "Policies" as the name of the panel of possible (available and unavailable) policies makes me think there could be confusion when talking about it and the "Government Policies" panel, but I can't think of anything better (certainly, "Possible Policies" doesn't sound better).

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by em3 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:21 am

"Available Policies"?
EDIT: Ok, I haven't actually played the branch, so I'm not sure what "Possible Policies" actually mean.
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Oberlus
Juggernaut

#8 Post by Oberlus » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:28 am

The "Policies" panel is like the ship-part panel for ship design: there you can browse available "policies" to put on your government slots (i.e. to apply their effects to your Empire).
And the "Government Policies" panel (with government slots) is like the "Design Details" panel of ship design, where you actually place ship parts into the hull. Here the "hull" is your government (there is only one, obviously), and you drag-and-drop policies from the other panel into the slots.

"Available Policies" doesn't sound good to me because in that panel you can show both available and unavailable (yet to be researched) policies.