Influence Discussion

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Influence Discussion

#91 Post by Vezzra » Sun May 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Oberlus wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 pm
Regarding species, since we will never be conquering a whole species, we don't need to know the allegiance to my empire of a whole species.
If, as suggested, colonies of the same species have a strong influence on each other, it might very well be important to gain at least some idea how a species as a whole thinks about my empire. So I think it would be necessary to provide the player with some sort of "average"/"summary" or something like that.

Regarding the allegiance of ship crews, having a "species opinion" of my empire is even more important, unless you want to somehow have to keep track of the opinion of each of your ships.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#92 Post by Vezzra » Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Krikkitone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm
This indicates we may want some type of separate Security ranking (so opinion can go down, but rebellions don't happen...ie Brutal repression would be -30 Opinion and +40 Security...Opinion would stay over time, Security would only apply while you owned the world, and could easily be disrupted-ie Security could go to 0 if combat actually broke out on the colony..ie once a rebellion starts it gets big fast)
Stellaris has "Stability" for that, and I like that concept a bit more (IMO more general than "Security"). But basically the same idea: you can get high "stability" either by making the population like you, or by employing more aggressive/oppressive methods to ensure your subjects cooperation.

labgnome
Space Dragon

#93 Post by labgnome » Sun May 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Vezzra wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm
Krikkitone wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:12 pm
This indicates we may want some type of separate Security ranking (so opinion can go down, but rebellions don't happen...ie Brutal repression would be -30 Opinion and +40 Security...Opinion would stay over time, Security would only apply while you owned the world, and could easily be disrupted-ie Security could go to 0 if combat actually broke out on the colony..ie once a rebellion starts it gets big fast)
Stellaris has "Stability" for that, and I like that concept a bit more (IMO more general than "Security"). But basically the same idea: you can get high "stability" either by making the population like you, or by employing more aggressive/oppressive methods to ensure your subjects cooperation.
So I'm not opposed to a change to "stability" per-say, but I think that the current "happiness" mechanic might work well enough. I am a bit concerned as to how this might interact with some of the other concepts being discussed like the influence projects and species values. IE: is saying something effects happiness (which we've been using) functionally the same as saying it effects stability, and will this sort of change-over make sense with respect to these things. I generally don't want an excessive number of meters to keep track of. Maybe the number of troops on a planet could function as the "security" meter, without needing a new meter. Maybe we could have influence projects that could boost the number of troops on a specific planet?

Mind you we can just call it whatever we like, "realism" or even "intuitiveness" be darned so long as it's not complete nonsense and we provide adequate explanation in the 'pedia.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.