Exobots

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Exobots

#16 Post by Ophiuchus » Mon May 13, 2019 8:22 pm

labgnome wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:39 pm
Plus as far as balance goes no one was supposed to get gas giants, and now we have Sly so I think we have defiantly moved to even distribution.
The species are still very unevenly distributed between planet types. Most of the good_weapon species have the same preference.

In a certain sense I would like to move Sly back to a single homeworld actually. They provide can-colonize-gasgiants-capability you can not get in another way. I would like the systems/planets to be a lot more empty than they are currently (i.e. colonizing all environments is too easy).

The main reason for the way the Sly are is that for peaceful expansion you should not compete with other species for the environment so you can live in another empire without disturbing it. Unless we make colonize-everywhere happen much later in the game I guess it has to be this way.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.

labgnome
Space Dragon

Re: Exobots

#17 Post by labgnome » Sat May 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Ophiuchus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:22 pm
The species are still very unevenly distributed between planet types. Most of the good_weapon species have the same preference.

Your statement is half-true. The good or better weapons species are found on terran, desert and tundra planets, all close together with the Misasorla native to toxic planets. IMO the solution is not to use planet classes as some kind of awkward, opaque and counter-intuitive balancing mechanism but to design more native species to better fill in the gaps that we have. The native species have gotten a bit more sparse since some of them were made into playable species.
In a certain sense I would like to move Sly back to a single homeworld actually. They provide can-colonize-gasgiants-capability you can not get in another way. I would like the systems/planets to be a lot more empty than they are currently (i.e. colonizing all environments is too easy).
I've had some thoughts on gas giant natives, but have been informed they would be incredibly difficult to balance.
The main reason for the way the Sly are is that for peaceful expansion you should not compete with other species for the environment so you can live in another empire without disturbing it. Unless we make colonize-everywhere happen much later in the game I guess it has to be this way.
This is something that will hopefully be much more possible once there are things like influence projects in the game.
All of my contributions should be considered released under creative commons attribution share-alike license, CC-BY-SA 3.0 for use in, by and with the Free Orion project.