0.4.9 release procedure

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Message
Author
o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#46 Post by o01eg »

I don't want to postpone it, but after discussion in the game chat and https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 638#p98638 . Could we land boolean game rule to manage if allies can use Drydocks? It looks be mandatory for big teamed games.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-9.2, boost-1.72.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 0.4.10.
Donations are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#47 Post by Vezzra »

Yes, we can. It's considered a bug after all.

And I want to give Ouaz some time to get the French translations for the new texts in.

So, new deadline for RC1 will be Sunday, December 22nd 2019, 1pm UTC.

Tomorrow (Monday) test builds will be normal pre-release test builds.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#48 Post by Vezzra »

More issues have turned up, and are very unlikely to get resolved within the next few hours. Also, trying to rush things probably isn't a particularly good idea, so I'll postpone RC1 once again, new deadline to be determined.

Release management issue has been updated accordingly.

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#49 Post by o01eg »

Will next test build/Release Candidate be Monday or Tuesday? I won't be able to sync the server at Tuesday, December 31st 2019.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-9.2, boost-1.72.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 0.4.10.
Donations are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#50 Post by Vezzra »

Good question. Most likely Monday, as I won't have time on Tuesday...

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#51 Post by Vezzra »

As the only commit to the release branch since the last test builds has been the update to the French translation, I decided to skip this weeks test builds. Too small a change, and only to text content.

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#52 Post by o01eg »

Should be next test build be Release Candidate. Backlog for 0.4.9 is empty for entire week.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-9.2, boost-1.72.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 0.4.10.
Donations are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#53 Post by Vezzra »

o01eg wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:04 am Should be next test build be Release Candidate. Backlog for 0.4.9 is empty for entire week.
Correct. Unless another issue that needs to be fixed for 0.4.9 comes up, the upcoming test builds will be RC1.

As I will have more spare time for FO related stuff tomorrow (Monday) than on Tuesday, that will happen tomorrow. Which means the deadline for RC1 is going to be tomorrow, Monday, January 13th 2020, 3pm UTC.

If anyone needs anything to get in, has any objections etc., please speak up now. Otherwise I'm going to proceed with RC1 as planned.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#54 Post by Vezzra »

I've posted a PR with a small update to the changelog: #2706. It contains entries for things that have been cherry picked to the release branch since the changelog update Geoff provided for 0.4.9.

If anyone can spare a moment to review the additions I proposed, that would be appreciated.

I''ll merge that PR right before I produce RC1 tomorrow.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#55 Post by Vezzra »

0.4.9 RC1 has been released.

I decided to give that release candidate roughly two weeks of testing. The exact deadline for declaring the stable release is Sunday, January 26th 2020, 2pm UTC.

Please put RC1 through thorough playtesting. Have fun! :mrgreen:

o01eg
Programmer
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:46 am

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#56 Post by o01eg »

Is bug #2690 related to 0.4.9?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-9.2, boost-1.72.0
Ubuntu Server 18.04 x64, gcc-7.4, boost-1.65.1
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 0.4.10.
Donations are welcome: BTC:14XLekD9ifwqLtZX4iteepvbLQNYVG87zK

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12697
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#57 Post by Geoff the Medio »

o01eg wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:22 amIs bug #2690 related to 0.4.9?
It might affect AI movement depending how the orders are scripted, but I'm inclined to ignore it as it doesn't seem to noticeably impair the v0.4.9 AI.

Morlic
AI Contributor
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:54 am

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#58 Post by Morlic »

It has zero impact on the 0.4.9 AI.

The bug only shows up after extending the AI interface to provide additional functionality (i.e. allowing the AI to queue move orders like the human can using shift-clicking in the UI). Since that functionality is not exposed to the AI in release branch (nor in master), the bug can not occur: It essentially lives in a dead branch of code.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#59 Post by Vezzra »

An issue (#2719) has been reported on github which is potantially release-blocking. Geoff made a comment in the comment section of PR#2721 regarding this issue, to which I want to respond to here:
Geoff the Medio wrote:There is #2719 which may be narrow enough to ignore, but which I'm still investigating.
@Geoff: Ok, I understand. I just need an Ok or a "don't proceed" before I go ahead with declaring the release (the deadline is on Sunday at 2pm UTC, see above).

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 5358
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: 0.4.9 release procedure

#60 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff has provided a fix for #2719, which should go into 0.4.9, so there will be a RC2.

As I do not want to loose to much time, I will produce RC2 tomorrow (Sunday) instead of declaring the stable release. So, deadline for RC2 is Sunday, January 26th 2020, 2pm UTC.

Deadline for declaring the release will be postponed one week, until Sunday, February 1st 2020, 2pm UTC.

Please, everyone who can spare the time, please playtest RC2 within that week as much as you can.

Post Reply