Mothball ships

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

jinlanid
Space Floater

Mothball ships

#1 Post by jinlanid » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:54 am

Say you have a powerful fleet, then you can mothball your fleet and don't need to pay upkeep.
If you need it later sometime, reactivate it in some turns.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Mothball ships

#2 Post by Oberlus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am

I can see this as a policy that enables lower influence upkeep on ships that have been "parked" (and their crews decomissioned) and can't be used (speed and damage of all weapons set to zero) until they are "unparked" and crewed again. It would require a new mechanic and UI changes to get the option to park and unpark fleets on the map and to disable the weapons and engines of parked ships.
Not in a near future, though.

Related idea: policy to reduce upkeep of fleets that didn't move on previous turn, fluff about fuel savings, troops on permission, etc. Could be implemented faster than OP's suggestion, but not before influence gets into FreeOrion.

The Silent One
Graphics

#3 Post by The Silent One » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:43 am

Welcome to the forums, jinlanid!
Oberlus wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am
Related idea: policy to reduce upkeep of fleets that didn't move on previous turn, fluff about fuel savings, troops on permission, etc. Could be implemented faster than OP's suggestion, but not before influence gets into FreeOrion.
I like it!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

jinlanid
Space Floater

#4 Post by jinlanid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 am

This also can be used to change pilot of your fleet.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 am

jinlanid wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 am
Not on my watch :)
That would be crazy powerful: late game you find Misiorla and substitute all the awkward Gysache pilots of your huge fleet for them and then BOOM you multiply by 2.3 the damage of all your ships.
No.
Ships are supposed to be tailored to the species that pilot it, or you can find any other fluff excuse (at start, "Pilots" trait was called "Weapons", so it was about engineering skills more than piloting skills), but pilots can't be changed.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Oberlus wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:11 am
jinlanid wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:19 am
Not on my watch :)
That would be crazy powerful
Seconded.