Snap distribution for 0.4.8, 0.4.9 and in future

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Ophiuchus
Programmer

Snap distribution for 0.4.8, 0.4.9 and in future

#1 Post by Ophiuchus » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:34 pm

I am looking for some input. I distribute the freeorion 0.4.8 snap currently to the latest/stable track channel. I think there are almost 200 installed living systems using that channel.

If 0.4.9 gets stable and I would push 0.4.9 to the stable channel, all those people would without warning have the new version installed. Would not be able to load there savegames etc.

That does not sound too good, so I am currently asking snapcraft.io to create tracks v0.4.8 and v0.4.9 and I would push stable versions to v0.4.8/stable and v0.4.9/stable as soon as that is ready.

But what should I do with latest/stable channel? I was thinking of adding a nag screen or actually removing the game instead with a note like: Please use a stable release from channel v0.4.8 or v0.4.9.

Also should I stop to support v0.4.8 somewhen in the future or just leave it "forever"?

What do you think?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Snap distribution for 0.4.8, 0.4.9 and in future

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:01 am

Does continuing support for v0.4.8 require substantial effort or time for you?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Snap distribution for 0.4.8, 0.4.9 and in future

#3 Post by Ophiuchus » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:01 am
Does continuing support for v0.4.8 require substantial effort or time for you?
No, not at all. I only ship the official version(s).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.