Make low happiness planet only TRANSPORT supply

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

jinlanid
Space Floater

Make low happiness planet only TRANSPORT supply

#1 Post by jinlanid » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:08 am

So that, to make it more easier to cut supply line.

One more way to play this game.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Make low happiness planet only TRANSPORT supply

#2 Post by Oberlus » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:54 am

Or make low happiness reduce supply.

But these are ideas for later, when we get influence mechanics to affect happiness.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 am

The more fundamental issue is whether there should be a distinction between a planet (or other object) being a source of fleet supply (eg. requiring a particular shipyard part or "supply depot" building to generate supplies), and a planet providing / extending the network of connections that transport those supplies to ships. This is potentially interesting, but needs some substantial rational / justification to warrant the extra complexity, I think.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:06 am
This is potentially interesting, but needs some substantial rational / justification to warrant the extra complexity, I think.
Here one comment on the notion of the TRANSPORT supply, not on the idea that low happiness would trigger it:

The only justification we have is that it would make supply networks more susceptible to enemy attacks - which may be a very good thing. I think a pure FOCS implementation would be possible (e.g. generating max supply only if the system is already supply connected) - the PRO would be that one would get an effect description which explains the current supply value - the CON would be that you first would need to establish a (temporary?) supply link to that system to reap benefits, e.g. by putting another system on supply focus and i am not sure that is not too much hassle.

I think the hassle is totally ok if you let somebody screw up your supply lines, but for establishing those the first time I am not sure.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.