What to do with the lighthouse

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer, Oberlus, Committer

Ophiuchus
Programmer

What to do with the lighthouse

#1 Post by Ophiuchus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:44 pm

So in the multiplayer game I found the biggest problem for peaceful expansionist the lighthouse. It breaks the ability to travel and more important it makes it mostly impossible to establish hidden colonies.

Currently the only realistic counter to loose stealth of your hidden colonies is to put hidden colonies on all planets of a system.

There are multiple things wrong with it I think:
  • it is a build-everywhere building
  • it is very powerful for its price (both in RP (150) as in PP), negating one-and-a-half levels of stealth. Plus you get speedup.
  • it is too accessible (150RP on top of active radar), by that time the opponent could only have research one level of planetary stealth. And the prerequisite (active radar) also negates one level of stealth. Even great stealth species have trouble with that.
What I would suggest:

For pacing: make it later accessible, up the research cost a bit

For restricting build-everywhere: make it cost influence upkeep to keep the numbers low. Up the PP cost so that moving the building hurts; or building one lighthouse also costs some influence; or lower influence upkeep the longer the building exists.

And also add a counter: e.g. a targeting computer which makes the ship weapons shoot at marked planets and no other targets. A target is marked if the enemy has lighthouse on it OR if you mark it by building an influence project to expose the defense structure.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Furthermore, I propse... we should default to four combat rounds instead of three ...for the good of playerkind.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: What to do with the lighthouse

#2 Post by Oberlus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Change prerequisite for Lighthouse to Detection 3 (up from Detection 2) and nerf the stealth malus to -20 (from -30).

An absolutely pacific expansion strategy should not be easy.
Consider adding some stealth ships to harass enemy outposts/colony ships.

It's true that playing pacific Sly against AI is way easier than against humans.