Linux users: which Distribution are you running?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Which distribution will you be running FreeOrion on?

Debian Sarge (current stable)
1
3%
Debian testing/unstable
6
16%
ubuntu
10
27%
other Debian based (Knoppix etc)
0
No votes
SuSE
5
14%
Fedora Core
3
8%
Gentoo
9
24%
Mandriva
2
5%
Slackware
0
No votes
other (please tell which)
1
3%
 
Total votes: 37

Message
Author
User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

Linux users: which Distribution are you running?

#1 Post by Yoghurt » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:04 pm

I would like to get an overview of the distributions we should provide packages for, so please tell me what distribution you are using. If I forgot any, please post the name of your distribution.

Please post the version of your distribution, too. I do not want to make a list consisting of "SuSE 8.0" "SuSE 8.1", "SuSE 9.0" etc.

Oh, and if you are willing to create a package for your distro (I can only provide .debs for Debian), please let me know.

muxec
Space Kraken
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:55 pm

#2 Post by muxec » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:35 pm

Currently running SuSE 10.0, but maybe I'll revert to Debian testing/unstable.

leiavoia
Space Kraken
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:22 pm

#3 Post by leiavoia » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:57 am

I'm running Debian Testing but i think they just recently officially upgraded, didn't they? I've stopped regularly updating the entire system because updates sometimes save over customized config files and can trash my rocksolid setup. So unless i need new software, i don't really upgrade anymore. I'd rather just work with what i've got that i know for sure works.

User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

#4 Post by Yoghurt » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:21 am

leiavoia wrote:I've stopped regularly updating the entire system because updates sometimes save over customized config files and can trash my rocksolid setup.
Well, that's what stable is for. Only security updates, and guaranteed to leave your setup alone and not change any behaviour at all.

BTW: Debian Sarge was released in July, IIRC.

quork
Krill Swarm
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:01 pm

#5 Post by quork » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:54 pm

ubuntu >=breezy
debian testing
----------------
I think that providing autopackage resolves RPM based distros :)

User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

#6 Post by Yoghurt » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:40 pm

quork wrote: I think that providing autopackage resolves RPM based distros :)
Of course it would. Only that the binary does not work and probably never will due to incompatible C++ ABIs :(
This is one of the few things Windows can do better than Linux.

muxec
Space Kraken
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:55 pm

#7 Post by muxec » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:03 am

Yoghurt wrote:
quork wrote: I think that providing autopackage resolves RPM based distros :)
Of course it would. Only that the binary does not work and probably never will due to incompatible C++ ABIs :(
This is one of the few things Windows can do better than Linux.
[noobspeak]
Are there any compatibility layer libraries?
[/noobspeak]

User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

#8 Post by Yoghurt » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:45 pm

muxec wrote:Are there any compatibility layer libraries?
Nope, because it's impossible. ABI, not API

See here what wikipedia has to say about ABIs.

User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

#9 Post by Yoghurt » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:28 pm

OK, I will try to provide .debs for Debian sarge and unstable, hope they run under ubuntu

All others will have to compile from source; we need to get FO 0.3 out of the door ASAP.

User avatar
Wolverine
Space Floater
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

#10 Post by Wolverine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 am

Yoghurt wrote:
quork wrote: I think that providing autopackage resolves RPM based distros :)
Of course it would. Only that the binary does not work and probably never will due to incompatible C++ ABIs :(
This is one of the few things Windows can do better than Linux.
I thought autopackage has automatic resolving of ld dependencies. But you have to substitute dlopen() with autopackage provided function in the FO code.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

#11 Post by Yoghurt » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:02 am

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with this.

The problem is the following:
Suppose (theoretically) strings were stored in the 1.02 ABI as "length, bytes, bytes, ..." (for example : "9FreeOrion"), the ABI version 2 of g++ now stores them as word, word, word,... ("F_r_e_O_r_i_o_n_") - now imagine a function compiled with Version 2 calls a function in a library compiled with version 1 that takes a string as argument. the function expects "9Freeorion" but gets the other -> crash.

There might be a way to work around all that, but that is stuff for 0.31, at the moment, I'm preparing deb packages, as 0.3 must be out soon. If the debs are finished, I might take another look at the autopackage.

leiavoia
Space Kraken
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:22 pm

#12 Post by leiavoia » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:40 am

You might want to check this out:

http://www.bitrock.com/products_install ... rview.html

It's free for opensource projects.

muxec
Space Kraken
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:55 pm

#13 Post by muxec » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:20 pm

Yoghurt wrote:
muxec wrote:Are there any compatibility layer libraries?
Nope, because it's impossible. ABI, not API

See here what wikipedia has to say about ABIs.
How happens that binaries from Loki work on all platforms?

User avatar
Wolverine
Space Floater
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

#14 Post by Wolverine » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:30 am

Yoghurt wrote:Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with this.

The problem is the following:
Suppose (theoretically) strings were stored in the 1.02 ABI as "length, bytes, bytes, ..." (for example : "9FreeOrion"), the ABI version 2 of g++ now stores them as word, word, word,... ("F_r_e_O_r_i_o_n_") - now imagine a function compiled with Version 2 calls a function in a library compiled with version 1 that takes a string as argument. the function expects "9Freeorion" but gets the other -> crash.

There might be a way to work around all that, but that is stuff for 0.31, at the moment, I'm preparing deb packages, as 0.3 must be out soon. If the debs are finished, I might take another look at the autopackage.
Ok. Now I understand. However I still think that I have seen somewhere in the documentation that autopackage takes care of such things. AFAIK autopackage was made to be the system independent 3rd-party package manager and they've takes care of most problems that could arise from this independancy.

If it's not your priority, no problem. I have CVS code regularly updated. However the latest CVS is broken as hell.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

User avatar
Yoghurt
Programmer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Germany

#15 Post by Yoghurt » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:32 pm

Wolverine wrote:Ok. Now I understand. However I still think that I have seen somewhere in the documentation that autopackage takes care of such things.
Yes, but they also mention it doesn't really work for C++ projects.
However the latest CVS is broken as hell.
Then please, please, submit bug reports ASAP, as the CVS currently is identical with the upcoming 0.3 release

Post Reply