Twenty-third game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Twenty-third game on the multiplayer slow game server

#91 Post by wobbly »

I'm fine with turns being slower for a while, when there's a good reason (like someone being away). I'm only bothered when the whole game is at glacier pace.

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#92 Post by Endhu »

Having trouble with slowdowns would be hypocritical coming from me, so I'm fine with it.

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#93 Post by Endhu »

How would one go about surrendering here? Should I try to fight and slow the aggressor down so it's fair to others? Can I relinquish control?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#94 Post by wobbly »

There's a concede button. Ideally you stick around and slow the enemy as much as reasonably possible, though it's up to you when you decide you've had enough and just want out.

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#95 Post by Endhu »

I'll hold on for a bit more then.

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#96 Post by Endhu »

Well, I'm about ready to concede now.
I only have to press the button and from then on my empire will just sit inactive?

o01eg
Programmer

#97 Post by o01eg »

Endhu wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:57 pm Well, I'm about ready to concede now.
I only have to press the button and from then on my empire will just sit inactive?
Yes, empire will be considered eliminated and turn will be advanced.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#98 Post by wobbly »

Probably concede and then next turn button? A while since I've done it.

o01eg
Programmer

#99 Post by o01eg »

wobbly wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:57 pm
Probably concede and then next turn button? A while since I've done it.
I fixed it as I remember so only concede button should be enough,
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#100 Post by wobbly »

RIP Endhu. Hope you had fun. I only saw a fraction of the action from my colony, stealth ships you could not see. Maybe BlueAward after the game will have some comments on stealth. I tried to fight him off with raw ship coverage, not sure how it worked out as obviously he was off fighting someone else. Maybe Oberlus now or later will have some comments on Replicon? He briefly told me they were OK but not super strong.

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#101 Post by BlueAward »

GG! FWIW I think you've done more for wobbly's case than Oberlus and o01eg have done for mine, however that sounds :3 I had trouble fighting both of you off at the same time. Wobbly would have much harder time with me if your military was less threatening

In other news, I am back home now after some intensive three weeks. Suppose we can resume the normal timer? It was not clear to me but I think the timer was ultimately disabled during that time? Thank you, hope it was not too much of trouble. At first I did not realize the timer was turned off (the GUI doesn't show me the timer......) so I tried to purposefully time out after 36h with set orders but not turned, and I could've just turned if it was clear to me the timer was indeed on hold (o01eg had the suggestion but I did not realize it was put into action, and it seems to me it was). Some legs of the journey were tough and no clarity about Internet access at the end of the day (and it was often poor indeed) so I was not turning trying to avoid a turn without orders in a pretty intense part of game, but I think I could've just turned after all

Endhu
Pupating Mass

#102 Post by Endhu »

I'm glad I had an impact at least. I managed to get a decent force up through the midgame but (I think) ultimately lost by bad maneuvering and by underestimating stealth, maybe also fleet composition. Those arc disruptors were quite scary, especially since my fleet was built with Charge in mind.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#103 Post by LienRag »

Would it be difficult to implement a button "turn automatically" ?
That way one would not need to concede at all...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#104 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:36 pm Would it be difficult to implement a button "turn automatically" ?
+1

o01eg, the button we already have to switch auto-turning on and off works only while connected to the server. In online games pushing the button could mean "make the server set by default my turns as played at start of each turn" (this way it doesn't have to wait for the orders from the client, assume no new orders), and that state would only change if the player push the button again. It would be a server-only change I guess, if it's possible at all?

o01eg
Programmer

#105 Post by o01eg »

LienRag wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:36 pm Would it be difficult to implement a button "turn automatically" ?
That way one would not need to concede at all...
Oberlus wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:11 pm o01eg, the button we already have to switch auto-turning on and off works only while connected to the server. In online games pushing the button could mean "make the server set by default my turns as played at start of each turn" (this way it doesn't have to wait for the orders from the client, assume no new orders), and that state would only change if the player push the button again. It would be a server-only change I guess, if it's possible at all?
It was implemented server-side but UI part was quite difficult for me. https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/3182