Twenty-third game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Twenty-third game on the multiplayer slow game server

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:54 am "There can be only one" game mode then, with no alliances?
yes, that would be helpful. I would even prefer no communication (pinky-swear).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by LienRag »

As I wrote, I'd prefer to continue the current game, but if there's a majority decision to stop it (not just a general indecision about it) I'll fold.
Concerning the 23rd game, removing diplomacy means stripping a multi-player game of 90% of its value, but I understand Ophiuchus constraints (and yes, diplomacy takes a lot of time, much more than just playing one's turn).
If there's a general gentlemen's agreement to avoid out-of-game discussions between players (I mean, outside of forum discussions, which are not diplomatic by nature) I will respect it (actually, it would save me a lot of time also).

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#18 Post by Daybreak »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 am
Oberlus wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:19 am
Daybreak wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:17 am I thnk there is problem with player distribution, whatever shape is played - it always seems as if all players are distributed towards upper right hand corner. In all 3 games I played, it seemed to be always busier in that direction - may be wrong and others may see it differently.
Nothing in the code or in my playing experience seems to point in that direction.
+1

daybreak, you can also simply start some games with different shapes and seeds and build supertesters to see the galaxy to have a look at where everybody is placed.
Well I only seemed to notice it in MP -
if you run a line halfway vertically in MP22, o01eg and I seem to be right on the lne, or slightly to the right, adnd I think Oberlus, is slightly on the right hand side, with Ophiuchus BA and Endhu all over on ther right, leaving Lienrag and Wobbly on the left - the Left hand bottom corner always seems to be more empty - same in MP21.
Just a general observation, and not enough evidence to say it is correct.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by Oberlus »

Yes. One sample.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#20 Post by wobbly »

19th and 18th had the mirror image skew, more empires to the left. It's random.

I'm all for no-diplomacy and no-shadow diplomacy this time around. Might make for a more chill game too.

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#21 Post by BlueAward »

Daybreak wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:17 am I am not playing this game.
I realize you're not a fan of stability and influence changes, but if it is no diplomacy including no shadow/offline diplomacy, maybe that would at least be a better experience, seeing you did not seem to enjoy the outside influences / diplomacy either?

I mean there's probably still some preferences by everybody on whom to rather attack first based on past performance and grievances, but that meta level is I would think much less pronounced, if we truly do gentleman's agreement not to contact anybody. Seems so, so BlueAward abides.

I think sometimes in MP games folks agree to contact only those people they have actually contacted in game but that presumably fits more a game that has diplomacy enabled

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#22 Post by Oberlus »

BlueAward wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:11 am I mean there's probably still some preferences by everybody on whom to rather attack first based on past performance and grievances, but that meta level is I would think much less pronounced, if we truly do gentleman's agreement not to contact anybody. Seems so, so BlueAward abides.
I don't need any shadow contact with anyone in the game to be sure who I would trust (without speaking to) or who I would like to screw with. For example, if I have LienRag as neighbour, his gameplay is like some kind of cancer: you either remove it ASAP of embrace for the metastasis (not like he becomes an unstoppable force or whatever, just that he manages to sink himself and any neighbour into oblivion). Or if I have Daybreak: I will know he will be doing shadow arrangements (not as much as LienRag, that can be real scum diplomatic-wise) and pointing fingers to others saying "you also do it", or that will use some exploit and said "that's the game mechanic, I'm doing nothing wrong, but game is utterly unbalanced and shields are OP and that's why I am not winning this game and it should be fixed" (because he neglected fighters...).

So I am OK with any of them stepping down for whatever reason, but don't think that any gentlemens' pact will solve anything. This will be a shitshow no matter what.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by wobbly »

I don't see clock time in the change list. Shall we try 36hr clock?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#24 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:20 am I don't see clock time in the change list. Shall we try 36hr clock?
Yes, please.
I have the feeling those that use up the 48 hours would have no trouble to adapt to 36. Plus it's about fucking time we have a faster game. It's been like 3 or 4 games in a row with deplorable game paces to accommodate players that can't play more than once every two days.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#25 Post by wobbly »

This is something that frustrates me. I think there needs to be an understanding between players before agreeing to play that the clock is buffer not normal play time. 2 turns a day, but there's a buffer so you can go away or deal with real life or whatever.

Look it's simple maths. At turn / 2 day 100 turns = 200 days is > 1/2 a year to reach turn 100.

2 turns a day is 100 turns in under 2 months.

Only 1 of these results in a playable game. I keep being torn between wanting to say something about it and being accommodating of people with busy lifes. At the end of the day, the maths don't lie. Below a certain play rate the time to reach middle game(not even endgame) is too long.

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#26 Post by BlueAward »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:34 am It's been like 3 or 4 games in a row with deplorable game paces
Errr I think MP21 was decent pace. Averaged over 2 turns a day (134 turns in 63 days?). Not sure if I could keep up with higher pace myself, I do have commitments too. MP22 looks about 3% slower than turn a day (95 days, 93 turns?) And it does feel considerably slower especially recently..

So yeah I would love us to aim more at 2 turns a day rather than 1 turn a day or even slower, so 36h surely is a nudge in right direction

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by Oberlus »

BlueAward wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:12 pm Errr I think MP21 was decent pace. Averaged over 2 turns a day (134 turns in 63 days?).
I can be happy with that.

o01eg
Programmer

#28 Post by o01eg »

Started test game! Version is 2023-02-07.75c688f.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-01-30.0dd6806.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#29 Post by Oberlus »

Five players (o0, Wo, Ob, BA, En).
There can be only one.

I got the AB color. I hope that doesn't count as casus beli with BA.

Eager for the test game to finish :D

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#30 Post by BlueAward »

Feature request - ability to change color to the color of conquered empire! (no but really selecting a color would be nice, and green same as neutral green is sometimes confusing)

So LR and Ophi finally didn't sign up? I guess Ophi didn't want to step onto our enthusiasm of having maybe 2 turns a day, and LR is perhaps boycotting end of previous match without concrete conclusion and not necessarily happy for lack of "diplomacy"? Or were they just not firm enough in stating they want to sign in?

Wonder who's gonna break the mexican standoff in real game!