0.5.0.1 bugfix/maintenance release

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

0.5.0.1 bugfix/maintenance release

#1 Post by Vezzra »

A bugfix/maintenance release for 0.5 has been suggested. The 0.5 release has been in March this year, so there are enough fixes that have been backported to the release branch to warrant this.

My question now is: Are there any things (aside from an update to the changelog) that should/need go into the release branch before we start with release candidate builds? Or is the release branch already in a state where we can do that?

Please give your opinion/feeback - thanks!

Citefox
Space Krill

Re: 0.5.0.1 bugfix/maintenance release

#2 Post by Citefox »

German translation update

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Citefox wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:26 pm German translation update
Bugfix releases are usually just that - releases that fix major/critical bugs in the current release branch, which are most of the time backports from master. Small fixes to stringtables are ok for that, but the update to the German stringtable currently in the works is quite huge. Which is why I'm hesitant to include it into this bugfix release.

So unless there is a very good reason why we should make an exception to the rule this time, I'd prefer not to include the German translation update. Especially since it's still a work in progress.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, there hasn't been much feedback to the bugfix release announcement.

Which means apparently most of you think that we're more or less good to go - however, there are currently three open issues and one open PR assigned to the 0.5.0.1 milestone:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/milestone/30

Before I can proceed with the bugfix release, these need to be addressed. Either by declaring them not required for the bugfix release, which means reassigning them to 0.5.1 milestone. Or by fixing the reported bugs/issues and merging the PR.

So, everyone, please take a look at the 0.5.0.1 milestone list of issues and PRs, decide what to do with them, and report back here.

Thanks!

o01eg
Programmer

#5 Post by o01eg »

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/4707 - mentioned to be fixed with recent boost 1.84
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-01-30.0dd6806.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'll have some time soon to look at https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/4801

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by LienRag »

About the design slots not shown bug, it's not exactly that.
Slots are shown (in a very awkward way) if you move the panel.
Attachments
Slots shown once panel is moved.png
Slots shown once panel is moved.png (303.34 KiB) Viewed 9966 times
No slots shown.png
No slots shown.png (290.14 KiB) Viewed 9966 times

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by BlueAward »

The slots thing is something recent on master, not affecting release, so bit off topic here. Also, I haven't opened a bug for that yet and haven't checked if someone else did, or is it fixed yet in the most recent build

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by LienRag »

I reacted to an issue raised in the devil's den.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Looks like we're down to one open issue and a PR attempting to address that issue. Meaning, we're almost there, unless something else pops up.

The issue with the design slots is a bug recently introduced in master, if I understand correctly. Which means it is irrelevant here. Only issues/bugs already present in the 0.5 release which are sufficiently serious need to be addressed.

The last thing that needs to be done is the update to the changelog, and we're ready for 0.5.0.1 RC1.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

The last PR blocking the release has been merged, which means we can finally proceed with getting this bugfix release out.

Next weeks test builds will be release candidate 1 of 0.5.0.1.